Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default LEGO's- where to start?

DS1 inherited a huge box of Legos from another family, and really enjoys creating things with them. I want to get him some more for his birthday (turning 6), but am a little worried about getting a set that includes pieces to create specific items... he's done so well just being creative with what was there. Or do kids generally build those and then use them creatively later as well? I also don't want to have to keep track of the pieces- the big lego bin is working for us now.

I don't think he would want more basic bricks- he has plenty of those, but tends to use the more specialized pieces to build rockets and ships- should I just go to the LEGO store and fill a cup with cool looking pieces?

Any suggestions for where to start?
    C
    DS1 (04)
    DS2 (07)

vonfirmath is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

What is DS interested in?
    Married 3/04
    DS 8/07
    DD born 8/11

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

The specific sets don't have to limit creativity. Most kids build the sets as is and then quickly transform,. merge and create new things. Nothing wrong though with learning to follow the instructions though and picking up some building techniques that may not come naturally. I know I always learn something new with the sets b/c if you use pieces in a certain way you can create many possibilities. There's some pride in creating something with a whole bunch of pieces too, at least for my ds. You can dump all the pieces together once the set comes apart. I have about 2/3 of our Lego collection sorted by color so it makes it a little easier to find specific pieces if the desire to rebuild a set comes up.

Beth

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    The specific sets don't have to limit creativity. Most kids build the sets as is and then quickly transform,. merge and create new things. Nothing wrong though with learning to follow the instructions though and picking up some building techniques that may not come naturally. I know I always learn something new with the sets b/c if you use pieces in a certain way you can create many possibilities. There's some pride in creating something with a whole bunch of pieces too, at least for my ds. You can dump all the pieces together once the set comes apart. I have about 2/3 of our Lego collection sorted by color so it makes it a little easier to find specific pieces if the desire to rebuild a set comes up.

Beth

We have way too many Legos here. They use the parts from the sets to make all kinds of new stuff. Usually they build the model, play with it for awhile, then take it apart and use the pieces for something else later. I think the ability to look at a 2D picture and follow the directions from it to build a 3D model is good to learn as well.

If you don't want to get too specialized, you could get some of the small sets that are $5-7 like the small racers or the 3-in-1 creator sets. They really can learn new techniques from the sets as well. I know mine often add spoilers and wings and other things to their own creations in ways they learned from the model sets.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

We get sets, we get tubs. DS likes the minifigures but he still does a lot of open play. He also incorporates Lego with his wooden blocks, etc.
    When we were in D.C. they had an exhibit on inventors at one of the Smithsonian museums. They listed inventors and their favorite toys as a kid and Lego was a common favorite toy. Granted some kids might just do the sets but we don't do that here!

Are there sets that are a little easier for a beginner? DS likes to build "spaceships" and boats- I think cars would be a hit too, but we don't have any wheels yet. Are there any space sets that aren't Star Wars? We need some more figures too.
    C
    DS1 (04)
    DS2 (07)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

There is Space Police right now that could work. Follow the age ranges on the packaging and go with the youngest ones to start. Lego City series should have boats. You could get a Lego City Advent calendar- I bet it'd be a hit!

Beth

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    There is Space Police right now that could work. Follow the age ranges on the packaging and go with the youngest ones to start. Lego City series should have boats. You could get a Lego City Advent calendar- I bet it'd be a hit!

Beth

The Lego Advent calendar was a big hit in our house. That would be a good way to get some random and interesting pieces besides blocks.
    Big Boy 2/04
    Little Boy 7/08

The Lego City series have smaller vehicles that would be easier to build. Look for the small sets with less pieces.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine2 View Post
    Are there sets that are a little easier for a beginner? DS likes to build "spaceships" and boats- I think cars would be a hit too, but we don't have any wheels yet. Are there any space sets that aren't Star Wars? We need some more figures too.
    These are good first set but your son might be past them. They have a big Easy to Build Logo on the box (you can't see it on this picture)
    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=3780384
    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=3780364
    This is a nice set that has lots of wheels and lots of bricks that can be used for other things.
    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=2938152

All of these set come with other idea pictures without instructions as well as the instructions to build teh item on the front of the box.
    Sarah
    DS 5/26/05
    DS 5/12/07 our angel
    DD 4/8/08

Moralizing and morals are two entirely different things and are always found in entirely different people. Don Herold

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast