Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by hillview View Post
    They are adding to my mess in my top drawer!
    /hillary
    Me too!
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I save buttons. I've had to go back and use them many times. I toss the thread that sometimes comes with fine knit sweaters. I don't sew, so what's the point.

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I save them in a really pretty pressed glass jar. They look nice and it is one of the things on or in my dresser that I have no problem letting Lula play with. I got the jar at a junk store, I'm sure, and liked that it had a screw on lid.

My mom kept them in a coffee can and I remember loving to play with them as a kid.
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

tiapam is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Ok, I am going to save the next pretty jar I get and do that. And I realized I have a good spot for it in a cabinet above the laundry machines. I already put a small box of sewing things there (when I put it away!). I just do mending so I don't have much.

I did come across the idea of a button wreath a while back and thought it was a neat and easy idea (and I am not crafty!). Here are two examples of how you could do it:

http://blog.craftzine.com/archive/20...on_wreath.html

http://www.marthastewart.com/article...reath-ornament

I also saw button bouquets at a craft fair this summer. There is a lot of info online if you Google it. The seller I saw used salt shakers and what looked like florist wire. I really wanted one but I was a good girl and restrained myself. I figure if I really want one I can make it myself!

I also remember playing with my mom's button box. It was some sort of plastic box that had held something else before. I still remember the picture on top! I think my sister has it, I will have to visit it and see if I remember any buttons.
    -Pam

DD: 6 YO
    DS: 3 YO

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wallawala View Post
    I was just complaining I'd have to toss my trench coat because I lost one of the big buttons on the front. Usually those extras are sewn onto a tag. It was an inexpensive trench from TJMaxx... but fit well and cute.

Just found the extra button in my zippy... Coat saved!
    Good news!
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have a sewing supply box, and I keep extra buttons and threads in a ziploc inside this box.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    I don't keep them because I don't know where to keep them. I figure I could find something that matches well enough. But, I think I'll try to find a place and keep them. Do you all keep them in the little bag they come in or just loose?
    Just toss loose. I think I'm going to switch my system to a Mason Jar. I think it would be more fun and those little compartments in my tackle box drive me to color sort, which is really not necessary!
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

KrisM is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by DrSally View Post
    Just toss loose. I think I'm going to switch my system to a Mason Jar. I think it would be more fun and those little compartments in my tackle box drive me to color sort, which is really not necessary!
    I have a small drawer in my dresser that holds lonely socks until I find a mate. I am going to put a small basket in there to catch the buttons.
    Kris

cono0507 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by tiapam View Post
    This is such a tiny bit of stuff in the house, but seriously, I cut tags off a new shirt for DD today and did not know what to do with the extra button. I know I have buttons in more than one spot right now, some of which I can no longer remember. Do you put everyone's extra buttons in one spot? Separate spots? What do you actually put them in? I don't often need one but of course when I do, I can't find it!
    I take them out of the mini-bags they come in and dump all the buttons in a ziploc in my sewing kit. I'm glad I keep them because I have definitely made use of them when we've lost buttons along the way!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast