Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Lupe is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default What to wash babies clothes with

Hi,
    I was thinking about switching laundry soap, to one that will be good for the baby but also effective at cleaning my DH clothes. I heard Charlie's soap is good, but the reviews on amazon are mixed. Anyone uses it? should I just switch to a regular detergent with no fragrance?
    I actually do all my laundry with woolite, but my DH and sheets with tide because woolite does not clean his laundry well (he says). Can I use woolite for baby and me?
    thanks

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I use Tide Free & Gentle HE liquid for all of our laundry, but I much prefer powder. It works the best of all of the free liquids I have tried (Kirkland Enviro. Friendly, Cheer Free, All, Arm & Hammer Natural, 7th Gen., Kirkland Free, Bio Kleen), and Country Save powder. I haven't tried Charlie's Soap, but have been tempted. I have heard really good things about it here.

My DD2 has reflux and spits up ALL of the time and Tide Free & Gentle HE, and good old Spray N Wash has gotten almost all of the spit up stains off of her clothes, as well as ours.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

fedoragirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We LOVE Charlie's Soap. I stock up on it every sale. I even take it with me for travelling. Can't live without it. I CD so we wash all diapers in Charlies.
    We use Ecos Lavender for our clothes, and will switch DD's laundry to the same once she is older. I will try out Tide Free and Clear next because it was on sale, and I wanted a little stronger detergent to get rid of the odor in DH's sweaty shirts. I don't know if it will work but I will try it.
    3 year old DD
    2 year old DS

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I despise Woolite because it's too heavily fragranced for my allergies to deal with, so I'd never use it for baby clothes!

DH likes scented detergent; I break out if I use scents.

Currently we're using Target's Up & Up house-brand detergent - scented for him, unscented for DD & me.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Charlie's.

I would definitely skip things like dreft, which are a rip off in terms of cost and they are heavily fragranced on top of that. Nothing particularly special about Dreft except the price.

We like charlie's. I ran out recently and have been using BioKleen which is decent for us but I prefer Charlie's.

eta: some people have issues w/ the more natural detergent/soaps, but I think part of it is that they are used to "optical brighteners' in products like Tide. Those aren't necessarily super healthy for you or the environment.

In terms of stains, I have good luck with sunning stuff out. Works great for breastfed baby spit up. For stubborn stains, I use the BBB trick of super hot water and oxyclean (I use the eco-friendly version of oxyclean). Works well (don't use super hot water on screen prints or things that will bleed, obviously).
    Last edited by brittone2; 09-24-2010 at 12:44 PM.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

AshleyAnn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I use all free and clear 2x and 3x depending on what is on sale for all our laundry. I also like all's stainlifter (blue bottle) but its not free and clear and I have terrible skin allergies so I perfer to stick with the simple stuff unless I have a bad stain.

Tide gave me a terrible rash while pregnant so I refuse to use any of it on principle even the free and clear. I swear its bottled evil.

Country Save is Awesome.
    http://www.countrysave.com/
    Sarah
    DS 5/26/05
    DS 5/12/07 our angel
    DD 4/8/08

Moralizing and morals are two entirely different things and are always found in entirely different people. Don Herold

Lupe is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Thanks to all!
    I think I will give Charlie's soap a try, amazon has it for a reasonable price
    will test it on DH workout clothes (the ultimate test!) and see what he says

If he is OK maybe I can switch the whole family to it
    is it good for delicate fabrics?

The reason I wash all my clothes with cold water and Woolite and line dry is because the colors look better longer, specially because I have a black heavy wardrobe of almost all "cold water only" clothes