Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Trek float v. Specialized Hotrock 16 inch

Anyone have experience with either one? My oldest has finally outgrown his Hotwalk and we will pass it down at Christmas. I am thinking no pedals on the 16 inch one for awhile. I know the Trek is made like that, but not sure if the Hotrock works like that.

wimama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Specialized has the Hotwalk, which is their balance bike. The Hotrock is just a regular kids bike, it doesn't convert to a balance bike.

We looked at the Float last year for a bike for my DS because we wanted to start him with a balance bike first. We were buying a bike for his fourth birthday. We had DS try it out at the store and it would up being too tall for him to use as a balance bike, his feet didn't even touch the floor with the seat at the lowest position. He could have rode a 16" bike with training wheels, but my DS legs were too short to use the Float as a balance bike. I think the Float looks like a great bike if your child is big enough to benefit from the balance bike part of it.

We wound up just buying him a Strider Balance bike for him to learn on with an extra long seat post. He loves his balance bike. Now, we just need to figure out what 16 inch bike to buy him for his 5th birthday.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

DD used the Hotwalk up until her 4th bday. That night we picked up the yellow spider Hotrock 16" from our friends' shop. We had them cut 1/2-1" off the seat post at the bike shop so her feet could touch the ground flat. Two days later we got it out of the van, held onto the back of her shirt. Told her how to pedal back to stop, and she rode it from the very first day. Seriously, it was that easy with her year on the balance bike. The Specialized is a much lighter bike, so it was easy to pedal. She's been flying around on it all summer long. zooming, confidently.

When DS1 was screaming for his own bike, we let him use the balance bike a few times. We got a free 12" off CL and removed the pedals, chain, etc. Because it was set up to be a regular bike, not a low-rider balance bike, it was a little higher, but set up as a balance bike. DD tooled around the neighborhood a few times on it, but the Hotwalk was much nicer and positioned better.

I say just give the Hotrock a try. He'll probably do great on it!

wimama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    DD used the Hotwalk up until her 4th bday. That night we picked up the yellow spider Hotrock 16" from our friends' shop. We had them cut 1/2-1" off the seat post at the bike shop so her feet could touch the ground flat. Two days later we got it out of the van, held onto the back of her shirt. Told her how to pedal back to stop, and she rode it from the very first day. Seriously, it was that easy with her year on the balance bike. The Specialized is a much lighter bike, so it was easy to pedal. She's been flying around on it all summer long. zooming, confidently.

When DS1 was screaming for his own bike, we let him use the balance bike a few times. We got a free 12" off CL and removed the pedals, chain, etc. Because it was set up to be a regular bike, not a low-rider balance bike, it was a little higher, but set up as a balance bike. DD tooled around the neighborhood a few times on it, but the Hotwalk was much nicer and positioned better.

I say just give the Hotrock a try. He'll probably do great on it!
    Is the Specialized Hotrock lighter than a Trek Jet bike?

just went to the website...apparently Float is discontinued????

Quote Originally Posted by wimama View Post
    Specialized has the Hotwalk, which is their balance bike. The Hotrock is just a regular kids bike, it doesn't convert to a balance bike.
    But you could probably cludge it. Unless Specialized has come up with some new-fangled way of permanently attaching pedals, you should be able to remove them with either a 15mm or a 9/16" wrench and convert it into a balance bike.

Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them.
    --Dr. Seuss

Penelope Grace
    Born 02.25.2010

Yes, if you have the pedal wrench (?) you can do it. I really think you should just try him on it, though. I was quite afraid of doing it, but DD was HIGHLY motivated and able. It was crazy to watch her hop on and ride.