jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Advice - what should I do?

I'm working on clearing out as much clutter as I can. I have two plastic tubs full of maternity clothes. Our family is complete so it's time to move them out. Here's the problem. I have a friend of a friend that just happens to be my same size - we're both petite - short and thin. When I found out she was pregnant with her DC I asked my friend to tell her she was welcome to borrow my maternity clothes if she wanted to. She was very happy to borrow them. I would be happy for her to have them in case they plan on having more DC but I have no idea what their family plan is. Should I - just get rid of the stuff I have or send her an email to see if she wants them or just keep them for a while longer?

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

It sounds like the stars are aligned - timing is just right for you to do a real favor to this woman AND get rid of a source of clutter in your house.

When DS was born, a friend of a friend gave us 3 big garbage bags full of baby boy clothes, towels, blankets, shoes,etc (she is done with babies). It was such an incredible gift to not have to buy ANYTHING for him for 6+ months. If I ever have the opportunity to do a favor for her, I will certainly do it.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

bigsis is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm big on purging, so naturally, I would highly suggest getting rid of the stuff. You don't need it anymore and she does.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I would email say you no longer need these items. She is welcome to keep or pass on to someone else, or give back to you and you will donate them.

I don't have any problems in giving things away as I know they'll be going to good use.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thanks everyone - I have no problem giving her the clothes I just wonder is it rude to presume they will be having more kids in the future and offering her the clothes even though she isn't pregnant right now and we've never discussed if more are planned?

MoJo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

As a person who received part of my maternity clothes from someone who was done having kids, I think the email is a nice gesture. I'd say that you are planning to donate your clothes but wanted to offer them to her first. If my friend sent that email between my girls, I would have happily accepted, and if she sent it now I'd say thanks but no thanks. But I'd consider it a generous offer either way.

I wouldn't hold on to them.
    Last edited by MoJo; 09-25-2010 at 06:09 AM.
    Jo

DD#1 "JellyBean" 6/08
    DD#2 "Ha" 6/10

"Theory is great, but as I'm in the trenches of diapers and dishes and ear infections, I try to relax and focus on what's most important: love."--mjs64