Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    chlobo is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by pakin View Post

DS has Asperger's. The school psychologist suggested that we have him evaluated when he was in first grade. We were referred to a developmental pediatrician by our pediatrician. He was diagnosed when he was in second grade. Since then, DS received all the services (speech, OT, social skills, one-on-one help with some tasks) from the school.

DS also attends a social skills group at a local hospital. Fortunately our insurance covers it.

There are some good books related to this topic. I recommend "Can I tell you about Asperger Syndrome". http://www.amazon.com/Can-Tell-About...5465076&sr=8-1

For teaching social skills the book "The Social Skills Picture Book" is pretty good. http://www.amazon.com/Picture-Teachi...5464980&sr=8-4

HTHs.

Pakin

DS 4/2001
    DD 6/2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaKath View Post

Here is one of our favorites too. "All Cats Have Asperger Syndrome"
    http://www.amazon.com/All-Cats-Have-...ref=pd_sim_b_6
    Thanks for the information. I'll have to check out those books.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Just FWIW, last year my older DD's teacher was very convinced she had Asperger's and that we were in denial about it. OTOH, we've had her evaluated a couple times and her therapists (one of whom runs a social skills group for children with Aspergers) does not think she has Aspergers. So teachers may be knowledgeable, but sometimes they enough to just be a little dangerous.

Also, as PP have noted, it can be difficult when kids are young to sort out various things. My older DD is quite quirky with a broad variety of issues that can be seen through the lens of Aspergers, ADHD, SPD, anxiety, etc. They feel right now that the best diagnosis for her, and the one we took to the school to get a 504, is anxiety. Many of these conditions can overlap and the picture does not always become clear until children get older and school and the social landscape becomes more complicated.

She is taking a social skills class right now and we are finding it very, very helpful for her.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

chlobo is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    Just FWIW, last year my older DD's teacher was very convinced she had Asperger's and that we were in denial about it. OTOH, we've had her evaluated a couple times and her therapists (one of whom runs a social skills group for children with Aspergers) does not think she has Aspergers. So teachers may be knowledgeable, but sometimes they enough to just be a little dangerous.

Also, as PP have noted, it can be difficult when kids are young to sort out various things. My older DD is quite quirky with a broad variety of issues that can be seen through the lens of Aspergers, ADHD, SPD, anxiety, etc. They feel right now that the best diagnosis for her, and the one we took to the school to get a 504, is anxiety. Many of these conditions can overlap and the picture does not always become clear until children get older and school and the social landscape becomes more complicated.

She is taking a social skills class right now and we are finding it very, very helpful for her.
    Thanks for this information. It's us, not the teacher, who is concerned. I think I will look into a social skills class (which I'd never heard of before) while we're trying to sort this thing out. Whatever ends up being the issue, I know she could use practice in that area.

Just want to add that our local YMCA also offers social skills group/class. It's not very formal or expensive. Maybe you can start there.

Pakin

DS 4/2001
    DD 6/2005

cchavez is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

check out socialthinking.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2