Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default s/o: Favorite 30-minute/fast meals cookbook?

What is your favorite quick/30-minutes etc. cookbook? I'm not looking fora basics cookbook (I have the BHG one and JoC, along with many others).

TIA
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

I have a Rachael Ray one that has a good assortment of meals (pastas, soups, sandwiches, and some fancier meals). It's OK but I don't like her writing style much. I tend to search Epicurious based on what I have on hand, then choose recipes marked by a clock icon (meaning quick meals).

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

If you're going to go with Rachael Ray, get 30 Minute Meals 2.

I have both the original & the "2" and can honestly say, the 1st one stinks.

Also, don't get frustrated if the 1st couple of times you try to do meals in 30 mins, they take longer. (They probably will.)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I am liking the new Six O'Clock scramble cookbook that was discussed in cooking a while back. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...JFDF4K677R68GY

they aren't all 30 minutes or less, but most are quick and we have been pleased with all that we have tried. She also has an earlier cookbook that I want but do not own.

I am not a fan of Rachel Ray. I will watch her show, but I find most of her recipes kind of gross. sorry!

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Yes to both of the above. If you're not opposed to using some boxed items (that may have ingredients the pickier food snobs on here would oppose ) then Rachael Ray 30 Minute Meals 2 is awsome. We cooked from it our first few years of marriage and there are so many good recipes we enjoyed.

If you are trying to eat healthier - whole foods, less processed, etc... then both Six O'Clock Scramble cookbooks are the best option. They are GREAT, I've been cooking from them almost exclusively for the past few years.
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

dotgirl is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We have (and love) the 30-minute meals by America's Test Kitchen (I cannot recommend the Cream of Tomato soup enough). We also have (and love!) their Make Ahead Meals book - we do the all the prep work on Sunday night for two meals, plus use two of their 30-minute meals and have a "leftover" night, and our entire week is taken care of.
    - Penny
    DD: Britt (03/22/93)
    DS: Riley (11/04/03)

fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by dotgirl View Post
    We have (and love) the 30-minute meals by America's Test Kitchen (I cannot recommend the Cream of Tomato soup enough). We also have (and love!) their Make Ahead Meals book - we do the all the prep work on Sunday night for two meals, plus use two of their 30-minute meals and have a "leftover" night, and our entire week is taken care of.
    ooh - I will have to look into those. I like the ATK family favorites a lot, but they are not all quick meals. These other books sound great!

Cooking Light - Fresh Food Fast 5 ingredient 15 min. recipes

I can't recommend this one highly enough. I cook several meals out of this cookbook every week.

Cheap, Fast, Good! By Beverly Mills and Alicia Ross
    Also by them: Desperation Dinners, but this one uses more packaged & canned ingredients.
    http://www.amazon.com/Cheap-Fast-Goo...d_bxgy_b_img_b
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    If you're going to go with Rachael Ray, get 30 Minute Meals 2.

I have both the original & the "2" and can honestly say, the 1st one stinks.

Also, don't get frustrated if the 1st couple of times you try to do meals in 30 mins, they take longer. (They probably will.)

to the whole thing. RR II is awesome. First version blows chunks. And they start the clock when you start cooking-- so when the recipe says "one whole onion--chopped" the chopping time is NOT taken into consideration.

Most "fast cooking" cookbooks use the same trick so beware of that. But I really do like so many of the recipes in the second one.

I also like a lot of the recipes in Everyday Food magazine. I don't have any of the cookbooks, but they are compilations of the mag's recipes, so I would imagine they would also be good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast