Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Share a organization idea that really works for you.

Every now and then, I find a solution to a organization problem that I am really proud of. I bet others have unique ideas that work well and that would work for others and I thought we could share them here.

First, I organized my Bandaids. Sounds silly, right? But, Walgreen's had character Bandaids for free a couple years ago and I had boxes and boxes of them falling all over in the bathroom. Now, I have them in this: http://www.snapware.com/W-60884021.html with girl charcters on top, boy in the middle and adult and latex free on the bottom. It works so much better for me!

And, I finally found a solution to my "where to put my returns" problem. I have a medium sized Rubbermaid bin in the back of the minivan and it holds most of my returns. It fits front-to-back and I use the lid, so I can still pile in groceries or a stroller just fine. I have things with me and ready and it's been working very well.
    Kris

I don't know that this is unique, but it works well for me. I keep a large 3 ring binder and clear plastic sleeves where I put all the manuals to any electronic/ houswares, etc in it. I also keep the manuals that come with strollers, cribs, etc in there. It's so nice to have them all in one spot in case they are needed.
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

tiapam is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I put a shoe organizer on the inside of a basement closet door. I use it for just about any odd thing that will fit in a pocket. Extension cords, a ball of string, extra filters for a stick vac, etc.

It's similar to this:

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/c...10012681&N=155

but a clear one would work even better. I just had it on hand and did not need it for shoes.
    -Pam

DD: 6 YO
    DS: 3 YO

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by DietCokeLover View Post
    I don't know that this is unique, but it works well for me. I keep a large 3 ring binder and clear plastic sleeves where I put all the manuals to any electronic/ houswares, etc in it. I also keep the manuals that come with strollers, cribs, etc in there. It's so nice to have them all in one spot in case they are needed.
    That is what I do with Lego manuals.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post

First, I organized my Bandaids. Sounds silly, right? But, Walgreen's had character Bandaids for free a couple years ago and I had boxes and boxes of them falling all over in the bathroom. Now, I have them in this: http://www.snapware.com/W-60884021.html with girl charcters on top, boy in the middle and adult and latex free on the bottom. It works so much better for me!

And, I finally found a solution to my "where to put my returns" problem. I have a medium sized Rubbermaid bin in the back of the minivan and it holds most of my returns. It fits front-to-back and I use the lid, so I can still pile in groceries or a stroller just fine. I have things with me and ready and it's been working very well.
    Totally stealing the bandaid and the returns idea.

Quote Originally Posted by DietCokeLover View Post
    I put my manuals in an expanding file. The whole thing sits in a drawer in the filing cabinet - I think I keep way more manuals than I need, so I found I had too many for the binder. I staple the receipt to the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by kijip View Post
    That is what I do with Lego manuals.
    Stealing this - 3 ring binder for lego manuals - I need to figure something out with them.

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Containers. I have a collection of different containers and I keep ones that I'm not using all contained in a large rubbermaid tub in the garage, so I can use one again. I'm container crazy I like containers as I'm lazy about putting things away, but I'll throw it into a basket/container and put that away.

Eg. I have a number of plastic baskets from the dollar store under my side of the bathroom vanity. One is for makeup (I don't have so much that it needs to be organized), one is for sanitary napkins/tampons, another is for pedicure items. I also have things on shelves in baskets - I'm short and I can't reach the top shelves well, but I can get a small basket down, so I organise by first aid supplies, sunscreen, cold medicine etc. I can get down one basket, find what I want and put the basket away.

I have 2 baskets on a shelf in the kitchen, one is for mailing supplies like envelopes/stamps/address labels; the other basket has office supplies like stapler, paperclips, binder clips, ruler etc I can't put them out separately as they'll never get put away, but I'll toss them into the basket and it looks neat on the shelf.
    Last edited by niccig; 09-27-2010 at 02:13 AM.

npace19147 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We have four medium clear bins on a shelf in our front hall closet. Each one is labeled with one of our names and they hold all of our winter accessories - gloves, hats, earmuffs, etc. Each one is a mess but at least we only have to pull down one bin at a time for each person!

Ikea has clothes drawer organizers - maybe Expedit? - very cheap. I use them in all my girls' drawers and my own as well to separate out shorts/pants/pj's/underwear/socks. Otherwise it would just be a pawed-through disaster.
    Nancy, mom to

DD1 5/04 and DD2 3/07

PMJ is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

This is by no means extraordinary, but looking around my house - this is the 1st that comes to mind. In our coat closet, I have a crate inside where we keep our tool box, golf stuff etc. I keep a "Tote" inside w/sunblock, bug spray, hats -- so when we go on walks, it is easy to access.

Would LOVE to know, how you all organize your Medicine. Right now - I have a small canvas bin (from Bed Bath) that has 3 ziploc baggies inside w/differ meds. This sits under our bathroom sink. Any ideas?

Sorry to hijack - OP.
    -------------------------
    Thanks for your time!

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I have this closet organizer in my front hall coat closet. http://www.target.com/Household-Esse...i_detailbutton

In the lowest pockets are the girls' summer hats, sunglasses, winter hats, and mittens. They are low enough they can reach them themselves. The middle pockets have DH and my baseball caps, scarves, gloves, etc. The top big pockets hold a couple of purses (I don't have many and they aren't big), battery pack for my PISA, and a few odds and ends. It has really cut down on the clutter, gotten things up off the floor, and helps DD1 to do a few things herself since she can reach.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

From the Organized Junkie blog someone posted a picture of inside one of their kitchen cabinets that she had reorganized. She put in 2 turntables to organize all her vinegars and oils so instead of having to reach way in the back of the cabinet to fine something all she had to do was spin the little turntable. I loved it so I ordered two 9.5" Oxo ones from Amazon and now I have one with all my vinegars on it and another with my oils and extra stuff. Reading the reviews on Amazon, one person said she using the 16" one in her fridge to make it easy to find stuff. I want to try that idea next.

Oxo Good Grips 9-1/2-Inch Turntable
    http://www.amazon.com/Oxo-Good-Grips...5605983&sr=8-3

The turntables are on the middle shelf:

I also use a $7.99 clear over the door shoe pocket organizer on one of DBF's closet doors for all just little odds and ends that are always piling up all over tables. It has 24 pockets and I love that it's clear so that he can see everything. I put his iPod, chargers, cords, random cds, belts, and any other small item in it. I like it so much that I want to get one for each person in the house to put inside their closet. It's this one, but's it's way cheaper at Target:

http://www.amazon.com/Over-Door-Clea...5606365&sr=1-1
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast