Default Noisy, annoying toys for babies/infants

In my capacity as Uncle EastEnder, this Xmas I have to buy stuff for my 5 month old nephew & 22 month old niece.

I have been advised to opt for either clothing or educational toys. I have chosen to ignore this advice, on the grounds of zero sadistic amusement factor.

Instead, I have decided to seek out the loudest, most annoying toys I can find, for the appropriate age groups. My siblings may prefer "educational" toys, but I tend to believe their progeny would prefer something that maximises parental annoyance (I certainly would).

Please inspire me. I want to spice up an otherwise tedious Xmas morning by generating as much mayhem as possible.

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Honestly, I don't think you'll get much advice or sympathy from the mom's on this board. We all hate noisy, annoying toys!

When DS gets toys like these, the batteries "mysteriously" die after 2 days and are never replaced. And when he was as young as your niece and nephew, and therefore too young to remember all his toys, I'd just put them away and eventually donate them. I'm telling you this just so you know what course of action your siblings may take. Also they may decide to take their revenge when you have kids... I know I would!

Also, in the long run my son looses interest in battery operated toys a lot quicker than other nicer toys that exercise his creativity and imagination. My FIL gave him a shake n'go car 2 weeks ago, it's super noisy and annoying because it will start roaring with any little vibration. Well my 2 yo son is so annoyed by it himself he asked me to turn it off! So he plays with it a lot but with the sound turned off.

At 5 and 22 months I seriously doubt they have any desire to annoy their parents.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Ok, I thought more about this, and I'd like to suggest something that would be both educational and loud at the same time. Musical instruments: xylophone, drums, etc. DS has a whole collection and we both love them. A 5 month old won't play with them just yet, but the 22 month old will.

We have a Melissa & Doug set than came with a xylophone, castanets, harmonica, etc. Also a Plan Toys wooden drum, some maracas, etc. Ds just loves banging the drum like crazy, and I don't mind. I always wanted to get this set for DS but never did and now he's too old for it:

http://www.amazon.com/Parents-Magazi.../dp/B000H28FKS This one would actually be appropriate for the 5 month old by the time Xmas comes.

HTH!
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012