• 46 to 60 minutes

5 10.87%
  • 61 minutes+

4 8.70%
  • other

18 39.13%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default how many minutes did you baby breast feed at each feeding....

Momm's post about breast feeding got me thinking, maybe I did something wrong, neither of my girls breast fed for more than 30-45 minutes, ever; they were both always ready to be done. DD1 especially. DD2 sucked a lot and did go a bit longer like 45 minutes, but we'd both fall asleep mid nursing too. I always fed them though as soon as they were ready to eat. I am done feeding DD2 so I don't need any help, but I am just wondering what everyone elses kids do or did.
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 09-27-2010 at 12:41 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

They fed on demand, for as long as they wanted for the most part. Sometimes I'd pop them off while they were comfort sucking once we got through the first few weeks.

For some of my kids it was 5 mins total per feeding. DS2 spent his 2nd night latched on all.night.long sucking but my milk came in the next morning (so while it was a long and uncomfy night it did the trick and worked like a charm) Sometimes they spent an hour or longer feeding, sometimes 5 mins. Depended on the age/stage, which child, etc. Different phases, different lengths of time. There's no way I could quantify it.

DS2 is 6 months old and will sometimes nurse for 2 mins and be done, and sometimes 20-30 mins as he nurses to sleep. There's no way I could give a number because it has always changed as their needs changed, and each child has been different.
    Last edited by brittone2; 09-27-2010 at 12:44 PM.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

For the first 6 weeks, DD fed for 30 to 35 minutes EACH SIDE EVERY SINGLE TIME she ate. DH calls me a saint for sticking with breastfeeding through that, since I literally nursed her 12 hours a day. She slowly sped up after 6 weeks and now she only takes about 15 to 20 minutes for both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by brittone2 View Post
    They fed on demand, for as long as they wanted for the most part. Sometimes I'd pop them off while they were comfort sucking once we got through the first few weeks.

For some of my kids it was 5 mins total per feeding. DS2 spent his 2nd night latched on all.night.long sucking but my milk came in the next morning (so while it was a long and uncomfy night it did the trick and worked like a charm) Sometimes they spent an hour or longer feeding, sometimes 5 mins. Depended on the age/stage, which child, etc. Different phases, different lengths of time. There's no way I could quantify it.
    This was my experience, too. My kids varied a ton as far as the length of breastfeeding sessions. Child #3, who is only 3WO right now, nursed 20-45 mins. at one breast per feeding for the first few days of life, but once my milk came in, he's been all over the place...he'll nurse 20 mins. sometimes or 5 mins. other times. Truly no way to quantify it for us.
    Proud mama to:
    DD 2006
    DS1 2008
    DS2 2010

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

15 mins per side -- usually each side at each feeding. After a month or so cut down to 10 mins a side (20 mins total). Sometimes a power nurse for 5 mins a side
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I answered 31-45, but as DS got older and more efficient and less likely to fall asleep mid-nursing it was less, probably 15 minutes. The first weeks it was closer to an hour, but he would fall asleep, he's fuss because I had over active letdown, etc.
    IMHO, every baby is different, some are more efficient nursers so time is not the best measure.
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

Moneypenny is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I don't think DD ever did more than 7 minutes a side once she was more than a week or so old. She was super speedy!
    Moneypenny
    DD is 19!

kam is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I just had to post --- My DD would almost never drink for more than 20 minutes at a time. total! We BF for 9 months, but had constant supply problems.

It changes on a feed-to-feed basis. Sometimes he'll go as long as 20 minutes per side, sometimes it's as short as 10 minutes total.
    Liz
    Proud mama to DS1: 2007
    and DS2:2010

Life is too short to wear boring socks.

Beth24 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Sometimes my LO feeds for 45 minutes sometimes 20 to 30 at 3 months. When he was a true newborn he was similar to BabyBearaMom's LO--we figured out that I was breasfeeding more hours of the day than not!
    DS, 15
    DD, 10
    DS, 3

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast