Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

>> I did talk to my HCP about this and she never mentioned Paragard, only Mirena... so we'll see.

I wonder why she left Paragard out? That seems like a major omission in the realm of birth cntrol choices and even greater when non-hormonal is what you are looking for. There are many women on this board who use Paragard (including me) and my midwife said that in her practice, it's 50/50 in terms of women choosing Paragard vs. Mirena. In the general population, Mirena seems to be more popular, but Paragard isn't a rare choice at all.
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

karstmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

i'd like to add that there are two hormones in what we usually think of as 'hormonal' bc - estrogen & progesterone. it sounds to me from way over here that you haven't tried progesterone-only bcs. that would be mirena, the mini-pill, depo provera shots, and i think the under-the-skin rods.

if that's true and you've only had bc with both hormones, give one of the progesterone-only methods a try for a while & see if you still have symptoms - like maybe one cycle of the shot. it lasts three months, then the protection fades. you'd find out if the progesterone puts you off-kilter, too, or just the estrogen.

that would be valuable info going forward - you'd know if you needed to avoid mirena, you might have options like depo that you didn't think of, etc.

good luck!
    mama to j karst, former 25 weeker, 12/06

dhano923 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine2 View Post
    I'd try a Paraguard IUD. I've got one and have had no issues other than my period is a little heavier and longer than it used to be. Kind of a pain, but would be worth it if hormones don't work for you. It's good for 10 years too!

I've had my Paraguard for 4.5 years and love it. The heavier periods are worth not having all the mood swings I used to have while on BCP.
    Mom to:
    DS 10/03
    DD 11/05

I know everyone is different, but I did the mini-pill, the rods (have the removal scars to prove that one!), and the shot. It all felt the same to me (combo of hormones versus single hormone).
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

ewpmsw is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Haven't read all the posts yet, but have some experience with this issue. BC methods that used hormones really made my depression symptoms worse (depo shot was the worst, pill and nuvaring also not fun). Midwife and doctor have agreed that the best option in my case is paragard (long term BC, non-hormonal). My midwife suggested Mirena, as the levels of progesterone are very low. My prescribing doctor advised against it, as progesterone can aggrevate some people's depression symptoms. He didn't seem to feel as strongly about estrogen, but my unprofessional guess is that different hormones are going to impact different people in different ways.

Good luck, OP. Hope that you find something that works for you soon.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3