gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Can you help me think of nanny interview questions...

We are in the process of trying to find a new nanny. I know I saved the questions I used for interviewing our last nanny, but for the life of me, I can't find them. I am coming up with quite a bit on my own, but I thought the smart mamas here could help think of any important questions that I'm forgetting.

I'm using a nanny recruiter, however, I want to do my own thorough interviews and reference checks, so I really could use all the good questions you can think of!

TIA!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I always ask them to describe (in detail) what they enjoy doing with kids. I listen less for the WHAT and more for the passion/love. I also like to ask how they have handled an emergency or even an urgent situation (crisis). I want to watch them with my kids (read a book maybe). I always get references and call them and talk for 20 min plus.

Also important for me is the flexibility for our family and what other tasks the person would do. The vibe I get. Etc.
    Good luck!
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

My twin mom group and I came up with these questions:

Nanny Interview Questions

How long have you been a nanny?

How did you decide to become a nanny?

What is your previous childcare experience?

Why did you leave your last job and (if appropriate) why will you be leaving your present position?

Tell me about your past experiences with children. What would you say has been your biggest challenge, and how did you succeed?

Do you have experience with infants? Twins? (whatever your need is)

What other types of jobs have you had?

Describe your idea of the perfect employer.

What are your expectations of your relationship with parent/employer? How much direction/autonomy do you need?

Describe a challenge you had with a current or former parent/employer? How did you approach and resolve the issue?

What are you looking for in your next position?

We are looking to create a long term relationship with our nanny. If things work out, would you be willing to commit to staying with our family for a year?

What difficulties have you experienced as a nanny with parents or children and how were they resolved?

Are there areas in your work that you would like to improve?

Education?

Do you have CPR certification? If not, would you be willing to take the course?

Do you have a driver’s license and clean driving record? How long have you been driving?

Are you willing to use your own car for transporting the children, and if so, are you willing to have car seats/booster seats installed?

If you could structure your time with the children any way you'd like, what would your daily routine be like?

How do you plan to communicate with me about our kids’ day? (A written journal? Verbally? Every day? Once a week, formally?)

Have you ever had a dangerous or emergency situation with a child in your care? What was it and how did you handle it?

Describe age-appropriate discipline techniques you would use with my child/children.

What is your approach to soothing a crying baby?

What is your favorite children’s book?

Are you willing to work overtime hours?

If you are unable to work (i.e., ill or on planned vacation) will you assist us with finding a backup child care solution for the time you are not available? And if so, how would you go about doing this?

Do you have three childcare or work references?

Would you be willing to have us run a criminal background and credit check on you before employment?

Clearly state the requirements of the job:
    (These are examples)
    - Hours;
    - taking care of children (nap and feeding schedules);
    - preparing food and formula for children for several meals at a time;
    - keeping running shopping list of items needed related to the children (ie, diapers, wipes, formula, food, clothing needed, ideas for books or toys)
    - cleaning up after the children;
    - laundry related to the children;
    - playing and reading to children;
    - taking children to appointments as needed;
    - family meal preparation several times a week

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

These are fantstic! Thanks you so much for typing them all out. This will be really helpful!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

karstmama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

consider some of the questions in gavin de becker's books 'the gift of fear' and 'protecting the gift'. they are direct!
    mama to j karst, former 25 weeker, 12/06

ellies mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Not really a question, but if you have pets, watch how they interact with the person. I interviewed 4 nannies and it wasn't until later that I realized that my cat's response mirrored how I eventually ranked them. The one that I knew I wouldn't hire ever, the cat didn't even approach. But he cuddled up to the one I hired and that normally isn't his style.
    Veronica

Miss Ellie 11/03
    Baby Audrey 4/08

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

When your older kids meet a candidate (I recommend this before you make a hiring decision), trust their feedback to you. Sometimes kids just know things that we can't pick up or articulate. DS1 has been spot-on with his initial assessment of the various caregivers we've had (3 au pairs, 1 nanny).
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009