Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Similac formula using moms what are you using now?

Just curious. We've been using the pre mixed bottles of Similac Sensitive and it seems to be doing well with DD. Per the Abbott Nutrition website it looks like the Costco powders aren't effected by the recall so I am thinking of switching back to it, but we are having such good luck with the liquid (spit up wise) so I am not sure I want to switch back.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

DS is getting the Member's Mark Sensitive formula from Sam's. It's made by PBM Nutritionals. I decided if PBM is recommended here, I'd use my research time for something different

eta:read again...sorry, no help on pre-mixed
    DS April 2010
    DS March 2016

All 6 of our 34 oz Similac Sensitive cans from Costco were part of the recall

In CA at least, the Similac formula was part of the recall.
    We went with Enfamil (another brand carried at Costco). Was considering the Kirkland brand but wasn't sure....
    Sonny
    Daddy to a tall dictatorial DS 1/10 and benevolent sweet DD mid-2012

I would stick with liquid formula. I read that the standards for processing liquid are much stricter than powdered formula. In fact I thought babies under 6 months aren't supposed to get powdered formula but I don't know any Moms that do that.

Good Luck! Food safety problems directed at our babies are so difficult. Unfortunately, this Similac recall is probably not the last time we see something like this.
    Proud Military Spouse and Mom of Four.

DD (02/03) Born in a military hospital.
    DS (05/05) Born in a birth center.
    DS (12/07) Born at HOME!
    DS (09/09) Born at HOME!

weech is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We switched to Kirkland when we returned the Similac to Costco. DS is doing great with it, it's like 50% cheaper and it has the same ingredients. The only difference I can tell with the Kirkland brand is that if you shake it, it's more foamy... but we use a formula mixer, so that doesn't make a difference for us.
    Rachel
    Momma to my sweet little bubba
    04/2010

barkley1 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Liquid - and I think it's "on sale" per Similac, too. I've gotten a bunch at Target, and it's ringing up for only $3.xx per bottle instead of the regular $5.xx. I think I read somewhere Similac was adjusting the price to be more in line with powdered "per serving"-wise.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by barkley1 View Post
    Liquid - and I think it's "on sale" per Similac, too. I've gotten a bunch at Target, and it's ringing up for only $3.xx per bottle instead of the regular $5.xx. I think I read somewhere Similac was adjusting the price to be more in line with powdered "per serving"-wise.
    Score!

I also redid a search last night and yes the 34 oz. cans ended up on the recalled list too. Somehow I missed it earlier in the day. I still have the one uneffected sample can of Similac Sensitive that I will try tonight, but if I notice more spit up I hope Target or Wal Mart has enough of those ready to feed bottles because Amazon is now out of it. Maybe Costco will start carrying the ready to feed bottles too.

Oh, and I PBM Nutritionals formula, it's all we used with DD1. One of the best recs. from the BBB book. I would use it with DD2 but we already tried the Sensitive (it was the first formula she tried), and the spit up was worse than with the regular Similac Sensitive. We also tried Kirkland regular and that was projectile city
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 09-28-2010 at 02:41 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

lilycat88 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Yep, liquid. Well, actually, we were using the Similac Sensitive concentrate before the recall. We're using the Sensitive RTF now at least while we're getting it for $3.84 a container. Powder and DS never worked well.
    Susanna 6/29/04
    James 6/15/10

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We switched to the liquid and DD is not tolerating it well. I have no idea what to do...do we try a different brand? We previously had issues with Enfamil Enfacare before we switched to the Similac Sensitive, which is lactose free. I don't think Enfamil Gentlese is lactose free. Should we try to Target brand? DD is NOT happy right now.
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast