Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by cono0507 View Post
    My son has a bit of engineering genealogy in him and has his sorted by color also.
    We have two of these in his room:

http://www.target.com/Sterilite-Draw...k&frombrowse=1

Each drawer is labelled, for each color and then one of the big bottom drawers for "specials" like wheels, people, trees, etc.
    He has had them organized like this for over 6 months and love it. I had my doubts as to whether he would maintain the organization but he has!
    I like this better than the underbed box. I might see about doing this and keeping it in the family room tucked into a corner. It would be right there where DS plays, and eventually we're going to have much more lego.

How many legos do you have in each drawer? Do you divide them up within the drawer?

I'm going to give a try and see if DS can keep this up. He's surprised me by keeping his clothing drawers organized after I put dividers in the drawers, and he has no difficulty with putting his toys into different types of bins based on what they are - I think it helps that the toys bins are clear, so he can easily see.

I'll post back with updates.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    Remembering that DS is a son of 2 engineers and a grandson of 2 engineers, I showed him the picture and he said "it'll be too hard to find the right piece because they're in by color. You should sort by the shape and size". Ha ha. He's doomed!
    I said the same thing to DS, but he was adamant that he wanted it sorted by colour. I'm the librarian with OCD according to creative, just pile it in a box DH - so I think DS might be a combination of the two. He wants some organization but it has to be easy to dump into a box and for him it's easier to sort by colour.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    I like this better than the underbed box. I might see about doing this and keeping it in the family room tucked into a corner. It would be right there where DS plays, and eventually we're going to have much more lego.

How many legos do you have in each drawer? Do you divide them up within the drawer?

I'm going to give a try and see if DS can keep this up. He's surprised me by keeping his clothing drawers organized after I put dividers in the drawers, and he has no difficulty with putting his toys into different types of bins based on what they are - I think it helps that the toys bins are clear, so he can easily see.

Or, this, if he really likes color http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=4110585.
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    Or, this, if he really likes color http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=4110585.
    Ok...that is WAY too much colour for me!
    I like the idea of clear storage containers for DS, as it seems he needs to be able to see what is in there. I've tried numerous options in out expedit shelved and the only thing that has worked as been the clear containers from the Container Store. He can easily see what he wants and easily put it away.

cono0507 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post

We just have them divided by color and then a drawer for "special" (people, plants, windows, etc). That level of organization is enough that he can find what he wants but isnt so much that he is overwhelmed when it is time to put them away.

Here are some photos:

Last edited by cono0507; 10-03-2010 at 02:45 PM.

We just have them divided by color and then a drawer for "special" (people, plants, windows, etc). That level of organization is enough that he can find what he wants but isnt so much that he is overwhelmed when it is time to put them away.

Here are some photos:
    Thanks so much for taking the time to take photos. I mentioned it to DH and he agreed that if DS can keep the colour organization that he seems to want, a set up like yours would be better as DS gets more lego. The underbed box can only hold so many pieces.

I'll file this away and look at getting similar drawers on a Target run.

What do you have the manuals in on top of the drawers? I put us in a folder in plastic sleeves, they were all scrunched and torn, so I had to go through and tape them back together.
    Last edited by niccig; 10-03-2010 at 05:38 PM.

cono0507 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

It is actually just a gift box from DS's birthday that we are reusing for the manuals. It seems to hold them well enough.
    He keeps his works in progress on the top too. And then I had to go a little crazy with my labelling machine and label all of the drawers.

And then I had to go a little crazy with my labelling machine and label all of the drawers.
    This is me too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2