Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    dukie41181 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default end of pregnancy weight gain

I'm about 39 weeks now and it seems that my weight gain has suddenly skyrocketed! Within the last 3 days I've gained approx 2 lbs! Total for this pregnancy I've now gained 16lbs and I had some "extra" to begin with. Should I be worried about late weight gain?
    DD1: February 2009
    DD2: November 2010

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

You've gained 16 lb total? I wouldn't be worried. At all. Baby is fully formed, just adding weight right now. It is becoming the size it needs to be to be born as healthy as possible.

I always gained a lot at the very end too, and both times all my baby weight came off within the first 2-3 months.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Yes, 16.2 lbs to be exact. I was just a bit worried because I don't remember this late weight gain with my daughter. I'm sure with eating well it will come off, I'm just worried that maybe late weight gain means there's something wrong with the baby, I know rationally that that's not true, but its the irrational thought causing the questioning. I'm sure if I eat well everything will be ok. With halloween though I've been eating candy which I know isn't exactly healthy! Must stop eating crap!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I kept gaining quite steadily and strongly in the last weeks with both boys. I think I did 2lbs/ wk with ds2 the last 2-3 weeks. I never had any cause for concern (like bp issues). Probably just my love of chocolate milk. It happens. I gained 13 more lbs with ds2. He was 1lb 4oz bigger than his brother, not a huge difference.

Beth

I agree, totally normal. The baby is just adding the bulk it needs to be healthy AND some of that is fluid retention which commonly happens at the very end.
    I too added around 2 pounds a week in the last few weeks.
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

You might be putting on water weight at this point too. I remember my weight truly sky-rocketing at the end (like I think I may have gained 10+ lbs in the last week...) and it must have been water because I lost 30 lbs from when they weighed me at check in to 3 weeks PP.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

We've had 3 parties in the last couple of days where I've had zero willpower, so yeah, I'm gaining, too! It could be water, but it feels more like MY fat...LOL...since I haven't had the time, energy or inclination to work out like I had been. I'm up about 22lbs total with over 3.5 weeks to go. I think I'll make it to, if not surpass, 25lbs, but not by too much. The heartburn is wicked!
    Muffin, 2010
    Bubba, 2013

"You've probably heard the expression 'I believe in God, just not organized religion.' I don't think people would say that if the church truly lived like we are called to live. The expression would change to 'I can't deny what the church does, but I don't believe in their God.' At least then they'd address their rejection of God rather than use the church as a scapegoat." Francis Chan

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

um, i gained only 30 lbs with my first pregnancy (all in the last 20 weeks, most of it in the last few months) and i was proud of myself. if you only gained 16lbs total, i don't see what there is to worry about. I think a lot of reason of gaining weight later on in the pregnancy is the baby gaining weight as well. Towards the end i think the baby itself gains 1/2 lb a week. Also as PP said, there's water weight as well.

I totally agree with the water weight issue. My weight has been yo-yoing for the past 4 weeks. At first I thought it was the drs scale. One appt up 4 lbs, then down, 2, then down 1 and now down another 1lb. I noticed my 'hobbit' feet were back to normal so I am thinking the losses are due to losing the extra water as my diet has not changed one bit.

Doctor didn't bat an eyelash at it even though I have only gained 16lbs as well.

Default another day...

...another 1lb! Can this really be water retention if I'm not swollen? This feels terrible! can you tell I've had weight issues at some point in my life?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast