Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    lovebebes is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Please please do not drive yourself crazy with worry ( i know, easier said than done).

The test you had (nuchal+blood combo) is a screening, not a definitive test. It does have a high rate of false positives. The overwhelming majority of the time there is NOTHING wrong with the baby at all. Many mothers choose to skip this test because of the false positive outcomes.

An amnio is very accurate-the information is basically collected from the sample of amniotic fluid. However the procedure does carry higher risks when done earlier in pregnancy (where you are). You need to find out CLEARLY what the risks are for the amnio for you right now. You also need to know WHAT exactly your doctor thinks MAY be wrong-what kind of abnormality).

And I am sorry but I do not agree with DHs thinking. You could harm a perfectly healthy pregnancy and baby. Why would you do that?

A question to ask yourself is: IF the Amnio came back and said there WAS something wrong-how that would affect your decisions about the baby.

AND: If you do not have the amnio right now there are still quite a few tests you can go have such as a level 2 ultrasound for example. If Downs is under question-there are markers a doctor can look for on ultrasound.

BUT PLEASE REMEMBER-CHANCES ARE YOU ARE CARRYING A PERFECTLY HEALTHY BABY. Dont make decisions based on not knowing something. Research research research until YOU know.

Hang in there mama, I know this must be hard.
    DD S 2002
    DD L born sleeping 04.2006
    DD L 2007
    Finally our littlest rainbow is here!
    DD C 2010

Dream is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lovebebes View Post
    An amnio is very accurate-the information is basically collected from the sample of amniotic fluid. However the procedure does carry higher risks when done earlier in pregnancy (where you are).
    Thank you so much for all the responses.

Any idea how late is it considered safe?
    DD1 September 2008
    DD2 March 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Dream View Post
    Thank you so much for all the responses.

Any idea how late is it considered safe?

Oh I meant its not AS scary closer to end of pregnancy, when it's done to test for maturity of baby's lungs-but this does not apply to you right now, you are way early in pregnancy so the risks are more serious.

When amnio is scary to me is when it can cause you to miscarry. Also, the safety of the amnio depends on how experienced the person performing it (like if they have done many, at this gestation etc etc).
    DD S 2002
    DD L 2007
    DD C 2010

kam is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

One thing I don't see discussed here is how the screening test works. You should google it -- there are sites out there that explain it well. (Sorry, on a phone, so can't search right now, but I think Wikipedia's description is pretty good).

But, in essence, what this test gives you is ODDS. Your odds of having a baby with Trisomy 13/18/21 are 1:_______, based on your age alone. Then, the nuchal measurement and blood test modify those odds, up or down.

So, the questions I would be asking are:
    (1) What are my odds of Trisomy 13/18/21/Turners Syndrome (I think those are what the NT scan is checking for) after this screening test?

(2) What are the odds of miscarriage from the amnio?

It's clearly not worth getting an amnio or CVS unless your odds of the infant having the illness are higher than the odds of miscarriage.

Does this make any sense? I hope it helps. Good luck, and remember, odds are that everything is FINE.

I agree with most of the others--it's your choice, but chances are very high that nothing is wrong. My 32yo BFF had the NT show extra thickness at the back of the neck, and the blood test showed an increased chance of one of the disorders, and so knowing she likely wouldn't terminate anyways, she skipped the amnio and waited until the Level-2 u/s. There were a lot of soft markers then, too, but she just couldn't bring herself to get an amnio, and then finally it was too late (they like to do it before 22 weeks, which is weird b/c 2 weeks later if something happened, the baby would be viable outside the womb). Good thing she did wait b/c her baby was ABSOLUTELY perfect at birth, even though all sorts of "signs" showed up on u/s (kidney problems, soft markers on bones, etc). My BFF said that if she had to do it over again, she'd never have gotten the NT and triple screen b/c it absolutely ruined her pg with fear, doubt and worry.

I skipped the quad-screen and NT test to avoid exactly what you're going through. I had my level-2 u/s done by the Chief Attending MFM at a high risk OB clinic, and he was exceedingly thorough. There isn't really much they can't catch via u/s that can help them put the pieces of the puzzle together.
    Last edited by bostonsmama; 10-04-2010 at 01:21 PM.
    Muffin, 2010
    Bubba, 2013

"You've probably heard the expression 'I believe in God, just not organized religion.' I don't think people would say that if the church truly lived like we are called to live. The expression would change to 'I can't deny what the church does, but I don't believe in their God.' At least then they'd address their rejection of God rather than use the church as a scapegoat." Francis Chan

Dream is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I can't get my obgyn on the phone but an assistant called to inform me that he's going to make an appt for the amnio. After prying to get more info I was able to find out the blood test is Quad Screen and I'm high risk for Trisomy 21, so its down syndrom, I'm surprised they didn't detect is from the Nuchal Scan. I will ask about the odds when he call the next time and he said he'll pass on the Qs to the OB as I won't be able to talk to her today, they're overbooked. He also said that the Amnio will be done under a sonogram.
    DD1 September 2008
    DD2 March 2011

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Sending P&PT your way. I hope everything turns out fine.

for Sandy Hook

I can't get my obgyn on the phone but an assistant called to inform me that he's going to make an appt for the amnio. After prying to get more info I was able to find out the blood test is Quad Screen and I'm high risk for Trisomy 21, so its down syndrom, I'm surprised they didn't detect is from the Nuchal Scan. I will ask about the odds when he call the next time and he said he'll pass on the Qs to the OB as I won't be able to talk to her today, they're overbooked. He also said that the Amnio will be done under a sonogram.
    I don't have any advice, as I opted not to have the testing done, but I just wanted to send you a big . I cannot imagine how scared you must feel right now.

I do think that if I were in your shoes, I would still wait as long as possible for an amnio and likely not do one at all, since I personally wouldn't terminate either way. I think for sure, I would be asking why the OB wanted an amnio. Is it just to confirm the test or some other reason? It is a high-risk procedure and even if your blood test results came back in a suggestive manner, they still do have a high rate of error, so you have to weigh the risks of the amnio against the possibility of a false positive, kwim?

You will be in my thoughts and prayers.
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

What I dont understand at all:

WHY in the world are they just scheduling you for an amnio, just like that without your doctor first having an in depth meeting with you, in person, to discuss ALL OF THE DETAILS of EVERYTHING (1.what type of abnormality-yes i know you said Trisomy 21 but honestly to get that from an assistant on phone and not your doctor-i would be demanding a meeting 2. what are the odds-like someone said above 3. all your options for future tests in the pregnancy that may help avoid amnio right now etc etc etc).

You just cant make a decision without the above information...Im surprised and it sounds like its almost being made for you...?
    Last edited by lovebebes; 10-04-2010 at 03:11 PM.
    DD S 2002
    DD L 2007
    DD C 2010

kdeunc is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I am sorry for the stress you are having! I had the nuchal test with DD. It showed an increase in risk for Trisomy 21 to 1 in 46. I opted for an amnio at 16 weeks. I was advised that there was no need to get the quad screen as the first trimester blood work would be more accurate. I would discuss your first results with your doctor and ask not only why they did a second screen but what impact does that have on the results.

As far as the amnio. It is somewhat risker before 16 weeks. The actual risk of complications/miscarriage depends on your doctor. My practice was well above 1 in 1000 for any complication. Since my down syndrome risk was 1 in 46 I opted for the amino. The procedure itself was not painful or problematic for me.

Best of luck with your decision. The 5 weeks between my nuchal test results and the amnio were the longest of my life. I hope that you receive positive news.
    Kelly

DS 1 12-02
    DS 2 12-04
    DD 07-08

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast