Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Down's is one of the easiest abnormalities to screen for via u/s--they can look at the facial bones (nose, forehead), measure the length of the femur, look for an enlarged heart, scan the blood flow to the kidneys--all soft markers that if confirmed would still give you time to do an amnio prior to 22w. For something as easy to diagnose as Down's, I'd be livid that my OB "scheduled" me for an amnio w/out my prior consent.
    Muffin, 2010
    Bubba, 2013

"You've probably heard the expression 'I believe in God, just not organized religion.' I don't think people would say that if the church truly lived like we are called to live. The expression would change to 'I can't deny what the church does, but I don't believe in their God.' At least then they'd address their rejection of God rather than use the church as a scapegoat." Francis Chan

Sweetum is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

sending P&PT.

Praying for you and your family!!

Dream is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thank you again. I'm going to call for an appt tomorrow with my ob. Hopefully then I'll be able to ask all the questions. The tech already called and gave me appt date for amnio, this friday 8th am. So I don't have much time.
    DD1 September 2008
    DD2 March 2011

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

You can always, always reschedule/ cancel/ whatever. It is your baby, your pregnancy and your body. At the very least they owe you informed consent.

I hope all goes well whatever you wind up doing. It was my friend's false + on these tests that made me decide to avoid them. I couldn't handle the stress! Hang in there!

Beth

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lovebebes View Post
    What I dont understand at all:

WHY in the world are they just scheduling you for an amnio, just like that without your doctor first having an in depth meeting with you, in person, to discuss ALL OF THE DETAILS of EVERYTHING (1.what type of abnormality-yes i know you said Trisomy 21 but honestly to get that from an assistant on phone and not your doctor-i would be demanding a meeting 2. what are the odds-like someone said above 3. all your options for future tests in the pregnancy that may help avoid amnio right now etc etc etc).

You just cant make a decision without the above information...Im surprised and it sounds like its almost being made for you...?
    I agree with this. Use your appointment to get the info you need about whether or not you want an amnio, not for the amnio itself. Take the time you need - it's early days yet.

All the best!
    Last edited by citymama; 10-04-2010 at 11:48 PM.

for Sandy Hook

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    You can always, always reschedule/ cancel/ whatever. It is your baby, your pregnancy and your body. At the very least they owe you informed consent.

I had a false positive as well. I knew I wanted an amnio. I had genetic couseling first, very helpful. The amnio and U/S were very routine/easy in my case, and I was about 18 weeks along, IIRC.

Good luck with whatever you decide. It is your decision.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

Dr C is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Positive thoughts coming your way.
    If it were me, the decision about the amnio would not be about termination if the concern were Trisomy 21--I know way too many awesome kids with Down's to do that.
    So for me, it would come down to whether the risks of the amnio were worth the benefit of either being able to relax and not worry, or prepare better knowing that I were having a special needs baby.
    Definitely don't just go along with the amnio simply because they tell you to. You deserve your doctor's advice and answers to your questions (and if it's not forthcoming over the phone consider making an appointment to discuss this further, alternatively consider getting a second opinion). Once you have all the information, you'll have to make your own decision.
    It's a tough one. My thoughts are with you.
    My sweet boy 8/06
    My beautiful girl 10/09

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    And in fact I would likely change OB practices from the way they are treating you. You are not a medical record; a name on a chart. You and your baby are human beings and deserve to be treated with dignity and respect!

Personally for me, I would ask for an earlier US to look for markers of DS vs. the amnio. The risk is less substantial. If the US showed markers for DS then I would think about the amnio.
    Angelina
    DD 10/6/08
    DS 9/10/13

>> So for me, it would come down to whether the risks of the amnio were worth the benefit of either being able to relax and not worry, or prepare better knowing that I were having a special needs baby.

I am sorry to see so many posters talk as though the only reason to do screening or have an amnio is about the question of termination. There are so many other reasons to do screening - to decide if you want to change your delivery plans (go to a higher level hospital, have a different or extra providers present, etc.), to learn more about your child's possible condition in advance, to line up extra support for after the birth of a baby. I read once of a woman who changed her plans about how to feed her baby once she found out the baby had Down's Syndrome and found there was some evidence that nursing helped these babies develop stronger facial muscles. I believe she lined up extra help from a lactation consultant in case her baby had a weak suck/tongue protrusion - all things made easier if lined up in advance rather than in the emotional roller coaster of delivering a baby with special needs.

Screening gives you the option of preparing in advance if your child has special needs, and that might appeal to someone even if they would never terminate.
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast