PMJ is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default How to know when DC should transition from 2 to 1 nap?

Right now DD is almost 1 yrs old. She wakes btwn 6 - 7 am (just depends).

First nap - at 9 am

Wakes around 10:20 am

2nd nap - 2 pm ish

Wakes - 3:15 pm

Bed - 7 pm

Last few days, she has been really fighting the naps. Could this mean she is ready for only 1 nap? I have no idea how to tell, or how to go about transitioning to the 1 nap schedule.

Please give me some advice.

TIA!
    -------------------------
    Thanks for your time!

HonoluluMom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

For DD, it just sort of happened over a period of time. She was really fighting the morning nap and she didn't show any signs of being tired. Finally just transitioned to the 1 nap. Her nap varies (depends what time she gets up), but usually runs for about 1.5-2 hours from about 11:00 a.m.

We're in the same boat. DD gets up between 6 and 7, down for her first nap between 9 and 9:30 for an hour to an hour and a half and then down for her second nap around 1 for an hour to an hour and a half. She goes to bed between 6 and 7.

A couple times in the past 2 weeks, she has refused to take her second nap. For example, today she played in her crib for an hour for her second nap even though she was clearly tired and kept rubbing her eyes. Other days, she's right on schedule with her naps.

She used nap 3 times a day. It took her about a month to transition fully to 2 naps. It started out kind of like this. She wouldn't take her 3rd nap even though she was so tired. And then the next few days, she would take her normal 3 naps. She took 2 naps more frequently, and then it just kind of passed altogether. It was gradual. But I found it a bit frustrating because I never knew what kind of day it was going to be.

I just try to go with the flow and let her do what she wants on that particular day. I don't know if this is at all helpful.

theriviera is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

She's a little young for the transition. It doesn't mean that she's not ready but I would play around with the nap times first before dropping one entirely. Could you try the 2nd nap closer to 3?

Default Here's what I did

When my baby (now currently a year old) fights her naps especially her 2nd one, I decided that she needed the downtime even if all she did was fight and cry for an hour.

Yes, it really sucks dealing with the fussiness of a missed nap, but she still needs it. Sometimes she'll take it and other times she will play, fuss, talk, whatever.

I learned to put a few toys in her crib like board books and small stuffed animals to try and keep her occupied on the days where she doesn't take her 2nd nap. That way I can at least attempt to avoid the crying on the fighting days.

Hopefully some of this helps.