Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ohiomom1121 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Essure opinions? Depo reactions??

I'm heading to my OB today and we've discussed Essure. She would give me the Depo shot today and then insert the coils later. I dread the shot..tried it once and was miserable but she thinks I could react differently being older and 3 kids later. But if not I'm in for 3 long months. I'd prefer DH get a V but we have high deductibles and tons of hospital bills right now so I don't see it happening anytime soon. Would love to hear experiences (good or bad). Thanks!

I had the Essure procedure done a few months ago. The procedure itself was fine, I was under anesthesia for it. The first evening was a bit rough with the cramping, but after that, I felt normal. My OB had me go on the pill for the 3 months it took to build up enough scar tissue. She did not recommend the shot because of weight gain and skin issues. I had the HSG procedure about 13 weeks after the Essure was done, and my tubes are completely blocked. I am beyond happy to not have to deal with birth control/condoms any more. Good luck with your choice!

Quote Originally Posted by NN317 View Post
    I had the Essure procedure done a few months ago. The procedure itself was fine, I was under anesthesia for it. The first evening was a bit rough with the cramping, but after that, I felt normal. My OB had me go on the pill for the 3 months it took to build up enough scar tissue. She did not recommend the shot because of weight gain and skin issues. I had the HSG procedure about 13 weeks after the Essure was done, and my tubes are completely blocked. I am beyond happy to not have to deal with birth control/condoms any more. Good luck with your choice!
    I wish she would do bc pills instead of the shot, I would go for that no problem. Was the proceedure done in the office? I didn't know you'd be under anesthesia.

nov04 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ohiomom1121 View Post
    I dread the shot..tried it once and was miserable but she thinks I could react differently being older and 3 kids later. But if not I'm in for 3 long months.
    Does your Dr. have any stats on this? or just a guess? Even dh begged be never to take it again, it was such an awful experience.
    Jos
    dd1 10/2004 prenatal stroke survivor w/ speech delay and dysarthria
    dd2 02/2007 asthma

Quote Originally Posted by nov04 View Post
    Does your Dr. have any stats on this? or just a guess? Even dh begged be never to take it again, it was such an awful experience.
    Not sure about stats...she just said people can react differently after kids to the pill, shot etc. I feel that way too about how awful it was and can't imagine feeling that way with 3 kids to take care of.

The Dr. thinks it might be better? With no proof of this and it just being her opinion based on what? Not sure I would go for it. Personally no hormonal BC will ever go back into this body, no matter what anyone says. I've had too many Drs try that oh just try it one more time, it will be different this time line on me. Well guess what, they don't have to live in the misery that is created by that line of thinking, so I tell them, thanks, but that is not an option for me, what else have you got?

Quote Originally Posted by ohiomom1121 View Post
    I wish she would do bc pills instead of the shot, I would go for that no problem. Was the proceedure done in the office? I didn't know you'd be under anesthesia.
    It was done at a medical outpatient surgery center, but not the hospital. I think some people have the procedure done in the OB's office, without any anesthesia/pain meds (or just take Motrin prior to). It is similar to having the Mirena installed, but more intense from what I've read. I was fine with anesthesia, and my OB agreed since on the slight chance she could not get the Essure put in correctly (due to fallopian tube openings/issues), she would go ahead and do the laparoscopic tube ligation while I was under because I definitely wanted to become sterile.

I have never had Essure done but I have had the Depo shot. I hated it both times I tried it. The first time was when I was in my early 20's and it threw me into bad depression. The second time was about 3 months after TT was born and I bled/period from a week after the shot until March the next year. My OB gave me something else to counter the Depo.
    Jenn
    M - my 7 yo ADHD/anxiety monkey.
    TT - my 4yo tiny terror.

"Swimming is not a sport. Swimming is a way to keep from drowning. That’s just common sense!" "I don’t have a fear of heights. I do, however, have a fear of falling from heights." “No comment” is a comment."
    "The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it." "Atheism is a non-prophet organization."
    - George Carlan

Quote Originally Posted by NN317 View Post
    It was done at a medical outpatient surgery center, but not the hospital. I think some people have the procedure done in the OB's office, without any anesthesia/pain meds (or just take Motrin prior to). It is similar to having the Mirena installed, but more intense from what I've read. I was fine with anesthesia, and my OB agreed since on the slight chance she could not get the Essure put in correctly (due to fallopian tube openings/issues), she would go ahead and do the laparoscopic tube ligation while I was under because I definitely wanted to become sterile.
    Did you have pain from the tubal? That is another option I'm considering but wonder about the pain. I've had 3 c-sections and if it's anything like that I'm not doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyMine View Post
    I have never had Essure done but I have had the Depo shot. I hated it both times I tried it. The first time was when I was in my early 20's and it threw me into bad depression. The second time was about 3 months after TT was born and I bled/period from a week after the shot until March the next year. My OB gave me something else to counter the Depo.
    This is what I was afraid of...having another miserable reaction. I was depressed and crying all the time when I tried it. So not worth it! I wondered if they could give me something to counter it if necessary. I didn't have any bleeding problems the first time but I guess you never know.

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I would not get Depo and would tell your OB "I do not want Depo - I want to take BCP for 3 months (or Nuvaring) until the scar tissue is built up."

Remember that the Dr. is not your medical boss. YOU are your own best advocate in these types of situations and it's important to be firm and speak up about what you want to take.

Because really - the end goal is the same for both of you "Reliable birth control until Essue is finished working." Who knows why your OB is pushing Depo (which can have really bad side effects you're stuck with until the shot wears off) - perhaps the Pharmaceutical rep just came through and was talking it up and she hasn't had someone from a BCP company in for awhile. It could be something as simple as that and IMO it's no reason to do something you reacted to poorly in the past.
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast