Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Where do you buy make-up with good EWG ratings?

I'd like to start gradually replacing my make up with products that get better EWG ratings. But where do I find these? I don't want to pay shipping for each individual product, but I can't seem to find a site that carries a big selection? Does Whole Foods? I know they have some of this kind of stuff. Is it worth a trip to check?

(At the moment I'm looking for mascara and nail polish.)

Thanks!
    Catherine

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Sephora has a natural line but research these even so. http://www.sephora.com/browse/sectio...egoryId=C20378
    These Tarte mascaras are '4' on Skindeep but my Dior mascara is a '5' and I *know* my Dior mascara is good stuff.

For nails I would go for Acquarella. It's $$ but a 1 on Skin Deep and been around a long time. http://store.acquarellapolish.com/Ac...B000WQU5IE.htm

Thanks! Where do you get Aquarella?

Catherine

http://www.amazon.com/Acquarella-Nai.../dp/B000WQU5LQ
    You have to apply it differently than regular polishes http://acquarellapolish.com/click on 'application' then 'how to use'.

lovebebes is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

It just so happens that Ive been using Korres mascara for the last 3 years or so simply because I like it, but some time ago when I started working on replacing my stuff with more natural I looked it up on EWG- and its a 3. I highly recommend it.

I prefer the one in the brown packaging as opposed to the white (i think it makes lashers longer and thicker). I like this mascara because I feel it makes my lashes look healthy and shiny, you know kind of like when you come out of the pool and they are wet?

And-one product that I discovered recently that totally blew me away is the tinted moisturizer from Tarte. It is simply amazing. I put it on and my skin glows and looks so healthy and even. It is only a 2 on EWG- for me to find a skin product I love this much and have it only be a 2 is a dream come true. I model so I have had just about every single foundation and tinted moisturizer on my face at some point, and I am very picky about them. Even the Armani foundation, which is in every makeup artists bag and is around $60, in my opinion does not come close to how awesome this Tarte product is. I put it on and just cannot tell I have anything on my face at all, yet I look a million times better. I highly recommend it.

Now I am on a quest to find a facial moisturizer that is well rated on EWG, and so far havent found anything...Im using Shiseido and Cle De Peau...Ive tried at least 15 well rated creams and hated them all-so if anyone has any suggestions-Id love to hear them!
    DD S 2002
    DD L born sleeping 04.2006
    DD L 2007
    Finally our littlest rainbow is here!
    DD C 2010

MoJo is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

When these threads came up in the past, I was too overwhelmed to do anything. But I'm also in the market for new mascara, and that Korres looks interesting. Anyone else like it?

I noticed a link on EWG to actually buy it from Amazon, with a portion of the purchase going to support EWG. I don't know if the prices are the same as you'd find elsewhere, but I thought that was pretty cool!
    Jo

DD#1 "JellyBean" 6/08
    DD#2 "Ha" 6/10

"Theory is great, but as I'm in the trenches of diapers and dishes and ear infections, I try to relax and focus on what's most important: love."--mjs64

Thank you for the mascara recommendation!

Catherine

Quote Originally Posted by lovebebes View Post
    And-one product that I discovered recently that totally blew me away is the tinted moisturizer from Tarte. It is simply amazing. I put it on and my skin glows and looks so healthy and even. It is only a 2 on EWG- for me to find a skin product I love this much and have it only be a 2 is a dream come true. I model so I have had just about every single foundation and tinted moisturizer on my face at some point, and I am very picky about them. Even the Armani foundation, which is in every makeup artists bag and is around $60, in my opinion does not come close to how awesome this Tarte product is. I put it on and just cannot tell I have anything on my face at all, yet I look a million times better. I highly recommend it.
    Thanks for the rec. I bought the Korres watermelon tinted moisturizer and I really don't like it. I am taking it back tomorrow and getting Tarte. I'm getting the Korres mascara, too. Time to replace my Dior anyway. Thanks!
    Last edited by infomama; 09-20-2010 at 06:31 PM.

So let me tell you all that the Tarte tinted moisturizer (I use Yes To Carrots as my moisturizer) and the Korres mascara is AWESOME. Love them both so thanks again for the suggestions!!

fedoragirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I chucked all my makeup and replaced it with Tarte. So far, I love everything about it. I have a "treasure chest" with all the eyeshadows and blushes, etc. The pigments are long-lasting and they stay put. I want to try their stain blush but for $30, I don't know if I can justify it. I don't use foundation but would love a full coverage tinted moisturizer. I tried Bare Minerals sort of thing, and it makes me look very ashy. And now with a little baby, I don't use much makeup because I don't want it rubbing off on her clothes.
    3 year old DD
    2 year old DS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast