Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ms.pacman♥ View Post

Baked Risotto

serves 6 to 8
    prep time: 5 minutes
    total time: 50 minutes (includes 25 minutes baking time)

3 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
    2 bay leaves
    4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
    1 onion, minced
    salt
    2 cups Arborio rice
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    1/8 teaspoon saffron threads (optional)
    1/2 cup dry white wine
    2 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated (1 cup)
    pepper

1. Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 400 degrees. Bring the broth and bay leaves to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Cover and keep the broth warm over the lowest possible heat.

2. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook until lightly browned, about 9 minutes. stir in the rice and cok until the edges begin to turn translucent, about 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic and saffron (if using) and cook until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Add the wine and cook, stirring frequently, until it is completely absorbed, about 2 minutes.

3. Spread the rice mixture into a 9 by 13-inch baking dish. Pour the warm broth over the top. Bake until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, 25 to 30 minutes.

4. Stir in the Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Variation
    Baked Risotto with Butternut Squash, Sage and Almonds
    Add a pinch of nutmeg to the pot with the garlic. Stir 1 1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2 inch pieces, and 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh sage into the rice into the casserole dish before baking. (You may need to increase the cooking time by 5 minutes to be sure the squash is cooked through.) Sprinkle with 3/4 cup toasted sliced almonds before serving.
    Oh My Yumness!!! Thank you for posting this!
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

X-Posted from another thread this week:

This is a delicious side vegan side dish that we had at DH's cousin's house last year for Christmas and loved it so much we got the recipe from them and have made it several times since. It would go perfectly with stuffing and brussel sprouts and the other fall dishes you mentioned. I'm a carnivore, and this was the best dish at Christmas dinner, hands down. At home, I usually cut down or cut out the red pepper flake so as not to spice out DD, though it's best with at least a touch of it in the dish. I do agree with the reviews that say you need to cook the squash longer than he suggests-- I just check it with a fork. You don't want it super soft, though, so that you can toss the ingredients without it becoming mush.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/m...ipe/index.html
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Baked Risotto

serves 6 to 8
    prep time: 5 minutes
    total time: 50 minutes (includes 25 minutes baking time)

3 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
    2 bay leaves
    4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
    1 onion, minced
    salt
    2 cups Arborio rice
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    1/8 teaspoon saffron threads (optional)
    1/2 cup dry white wine
    2 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated (1 cup)
    pepper

1. Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 400 degrees. Bring the broth and bay leaves to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Cover and keep the broth warm over the lowest possible heat.

2. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook until lightly browned, about 9 minutes. stir in the rice and cok until the edges begin to turn translucent, about 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic and saffron (if using) and cook until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Add the wine and cook, stirring frequently, until it is completely absorbed, about 2 minutes.

3. Spread the rice mixture into a 9 by 13-inch baking dish. Pour the warm broth over the top. Bake until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, 25 to 30 minutes.

4. Stir in the Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Variation
    Baked Risotto with Butternut Squash, Sage and Almonds
    Add a pinch of nutmeg to the pot with the garlic. Stir 1 1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2 inch pieces, and 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh sage into the rice into the casserole dish before baking. (You may need to increase the cooking time by 5 minutes to be sure the squash is cooked through.) Sprinkle with 3/4 cup toasted sliced almonds before serving.
    Thanks! Let me know how it turns out.

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

ok so i made the risotto on Sunday, and it turned out pretty good. having the squash in there definitely added a nice touch. only thing is, it wasn't as tasty the next day, but i think that's a characteristic of risotto in general (after being stored/reheated tends to get sticky etc). still pretty good though.

my fave though so far is still the butternut bisque i had made earlier. that soup didn't even last 24 hours in our house!

Beth24 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

ok so i made the risotto on Sunday, and it turned out pretty good. having the squash in there definitely added a nice touch. only thing is, it wasn't as tasty the next day, but i think that's a characteristic of risotto in general (after being stored/reheated tends to get sticky etc). still pretty good though.

my fave though so far is still the butternut bisque i had made earlier. that soup didn't even last 24 hours in our house!
    Do you think I could make the baked risotto with brown rice?
    DS, 15
    DD, 10
    DS, 3

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

That's when you make risotto cakes!!! Make patties out of leftover risotto, coat in bread crumbs or panko bread crumbs, pan-fry to golden-brown, and enjoy with a little salad/vinaigrette.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Beth24 View Post
    Do you think I could make the baked risotto with brown rice?
    The velvety texture from risotto is due to the high starch content of the arborio rice that's used. You could probably make it - and it would probably be tasty, but the texture will be nothing like risotto.

theriviera is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I love butternut squash! You don't need to peel/cut it up first though. It's been awhile but when I cooked it last fall for DD's baby food (and us!) I just cut it in half and roasted it skin up. Then I scooped out the flesh and used it for her purees or for soup.

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    That's when you make risotto cakes!!! Make patties out of leftover risotto, coat in bread crumbs or panko bread crumbs, pan-fry to golden-brown, and enjoy with a little salad/vinaigrette.
    actually read about this tip in my cookbook (and it provided a recipe for risotto cakes using mozzerella cheese, egg, bread crumbs), so i tried it tonight. i ran into problems though...i guess since there were chunks of butternut squash in the risotto and it said to put cheese in as well it was really hard to form into patties..the patties kept coming apart. also the recipe said to fill the pan to 1/2" deep of oil (!) and when i put the patties in they promptly disintegrated into several pieces. i finally just decided to keep things simple and just form the risotto into patties, dip in egg, coat in breadcrumbs and fry in just a little oil. that came out way better, but still i think i majorly need practice in making these...still had probs with patties coming apart and in the end they didn't come out as nice little patties but more random-sized little chunks of fried risotto & squash (looked nothing like the pic in my cookbook, which was of perfectly shaped round browned patties like this). lol. at least when i gave it to DH he was like "OMG this is so good!!" indeed, it didn't taste bad at all and was a very nice change from boring leftover risotto! i will try making this again tomorrow, hopefully i can get better at making this
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 10-20-2010 at 07:56 PM.

Default Butternut Squash Pizza

Really, it's good.

1 batch pizza dough--or buy @ store
    1/2 medium b'nut squash--seeded, peeled, & cut in thin slices
    1 onion, sliced into thin rings
    1/2 to 1 tsp sage (fresh chopped or dried/powdered, as you have/prefer)
    1/2 to 1 tsp rosemary (fresh chopped or dried/powdered as you have/prefer)
    3 T. olive oil
    salt to taste
    Parmesan cheese

Prepare pizza dough, pre-heat oven to 400F. On a cookie sheet, spread squash, onions, 2T of the oil, sage & rosemary & salt. Mix well. Bake for 15-20 min until the squash & onions are well cooked but not charred. Set oven to 425F. (Or as instructed for your pizza crust.) Roll out pizza dough, put on pan. Spread baked squash & onion mixture over pizza dough. Bake for 10 minutes, but watch--bake until the dough is a golden brown. While hot, spread remaining 1T oil over pizza (if you wish) and grate Parmesan cheese over it.

Makes one pizza. Serves, well, for us, two adults, one 18 mo old, with leftovers for one adult. But we eat a lot, and it depends on how thick your crust is.

This may sound like a strange recipe, but it is one of our favorite pizzas. The original recipe is from the cookbook Vegetarian Planet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast