Thread: BCP question...

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default BCP question...

Has anyone had success with any type of hormonal bc that does not decrease libido? I've been thinking about this since the "missing libido" post a few weeks ago.

I like low-dose BCP. I'd say it regulated rather than eliminated libido for me. When not on the pill, I have no interest in sex post-ovulation, following a week of being somewhat sex-crazed. :-P With BCP it's pretty steady but less intense the entire cycle.
    Boy (4/03) -- Girl (12/05) -- Boy (11/10)

SkyrMommy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I've been thinking of it as well, but I'm on a low dose BCP and I find that my libido is still very low and I'm having issues with weight as well.

My next OB visit isn't for a while so I'm curious to hear what everyone else says... I also need things to consider or research.
    DD 4/09 DS 8/12

almostmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm definitely going to keep my eye on this.

I'm the one who started that libido post, and I just got my Mirena out last week! I feel really good - less bloated and happy to have my body in a natural state - really good feeling. Except that I'm not having sex because I don't want to get pregnant and am not used to using condoms!

My OBGYN, who was very nice, but not that helpful in general, suggested I take out the Mirena and wait a few months, using condoms, and see how I feel. Her opinion was that the Mirena was probably my best bet (she rarely prescribes the paraguard because of the heavy periods, but I think I might try it and see), but that there was no reason not to wait to put the next one if I felt like I had adequete birth control in the interim.

So we've used one condom so far, and it was fine, but it's definitely a deterrent, maybe even more so than my libido! But it's only been a week, and we've been away, so I'm definitely going to give it time.

What about the nuvaring? I know it's hormonal, but is it high does or low dose hormones? I like that it's not an every day thing.

Thanks for keeping this conversation going.
    Liz

DS 11/03
    DD 12/05

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by almostmom View Post
    I'm definitely going to keep my eye on this.

I'm the one who started that libido post, and I just got my Mirena out last week! I feel really good - less bloated and happy to have my body in a natural state - really good feeling. Except that I'm not having sex because I don't want to get pregnant and am not used to using condoms!

My OBGYN, who was very nice, but not that helpful in general, suggested I take out the Mirena and wait a few months, using condoms, and see how I feel. Her opinion was that the Mirena was probably my best bet (she rarely prescribes the paraguard because of the heavy periods, but I think I might try it and see), but that there was no reason not to wait to put the next one if I felt like I had adequete birth control in the interim.

So we've used one condom so far, and it was fine, but it's definitely a deterrent, maybe even more so than my libido! But it's only been a week, and we've been away, so I'm definitely going to give it time.

What about the nuvaring? I know it's hormonal, but is it high does or low dose hormones? I like that it's not an every day thing.

Thanks for keeping this conversation going.
    I started this post because I just restarted the nuvaring. I never realize how much hormonal bc depressed my libido--when I first went off it to ttc, it was like holy cow! After dd was born I went back on it, and could tell such a difference so I stopped again, but I was an emotional wreck, plus it was harder to be spontaneous with DH. So I just started again a few says ago, but I'm not looking forward to losing my libido again. I'm on the nuvaring fwiw. It has been a while since I tried something else but I don't recall any big differences. Nothing like when I stopped hormonal bc entirely. I'm not kidding--it was like a whole new world after 8 years!

weech is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by almostmom View Post
    I tried the nuvaring because I loved that it wasn't an everyday thing, but let me tell you.. that thing made me NUTS. I would literally burst into tears for no reason, I got really angry about stupid things, and I was just generally very sad... all the symptoms were gone within a week or so of stopping.

But everyone reacts differently! You can always try it out and stop.
    Rachel
    Momma to my sweet little bubba
    04/2010

I really think this is one of those things where every body will react differently. I feel like I am healthier and happier on BCP (better skin, fewer weight fluctuations, no PMS) and the brand I take doesn't have much of an impact. (except Yaz. Must stay far, far away from Yaz.) But some women are very sensitive to any type of hormones. So it's hard to say what will happen until you personally give it a shot.
    Boy (4/03) -- Girl (12/05) -- Boy (11/10)