Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    ♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default i thought it was supposed to get better, not worse (update #27)

morning sickness, that is. i'm 15 weeks and for the past week or two have been waking up every freaking morning to be violently sick. often times i get a headache/muscle ache afterwards since my body tenses up so much during (especially when there is nothing in my tummy). did i mention it sucks? not the nicest way to wake up.

and i've tried various things, i keep saltines or Chex cereal by nightstand, eating high-protein foods right before bed, but that still doesn't help. drinking water sets me off like nothing. i wake up and feel fine for a few seconds, then try to eat something bland and/or drink some juice and back up it comes. argh.

i'm also confused, i thought m/s was supposed to get BETTER in 2nd trimester? WTH. i can't recall exactly but i'm pretty sure last time i stopped getting sick by week 16, and even right before that, i was only being sick once or twice a week or so. DH jokes that this one must be a girl for all the trouble she's giving me
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 10-25-2010 at 09:22 PM.

Minnifer is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I hate to say it, but every pg is different, and ms can go on for the whole pg - it did with my first, and it was all day not just morning, and I was throwing up multiple times every.single.day. until DD was born. It was awful.

I feel your pain - I'm only 6 wks along with this pg but mine has kicked in big time (started this early last time too) and I am absolutely miserable and barely able to function...
    Lucky single mama to DD 5/08 and DS 6/11

kam is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Aww, I'm so sorry!

I had terrible MS, vomiting multiple times/ day for about 18 weeks. I also had lots of food aversions, taht are only now passing at 28 weeks.

I was on Zofran, which really helped. (Couldn't even drink water for a while there). But a doc I know told me that there was an article in JAMA last week or the week before about a large double blind study which determined that Diclectin is safe and very effective for the majority of women with morning sickness.

The side story here is that Diclectin has been off the market in the US for decades due to lawsuits (which the drug company won, but decided were too expensive to fight). However, it's just a combination of Unisom (active ingredient = doxylamine succinate) and B6. So you can try that. I don't know the doses, but you can look it up or ask your ob, I'm sure.

If I can find the specific article, I'll post it. ETA: Here it is (or at least the abstract)! http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20843504
    Last edited by kam; 10-18-2010 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Misnamed drug. Source of Study.

AshleyAnn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My acid reflux started around then and it started off the same way. It had nothing to do with m/s and the normal m/s cures did nothing to help. I found zantac75 very helpful but it got worse as the pregnancy progressed and my stomach got more and more squished.

wendibird22 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I had horrible heartburn that made me incredibly nauseated. B6-unisom helped. It eventually went away (or at least drastically improved) at 18weeks.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

kdeunc is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm so sorry!! I was sick until 20 weeks with DS2 and DD. Zofran was my salvation!! It is definitely worth a try.
    Kelly

DS 1 12-02
    DS 2 12-04
    DD 07-08

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

thx for the replies everyone. i actually have been taking Zofran occasionally, and it does help a lot but i only take half-doses like every other day or every few days. i can't really take it everyday as when i do the constipation really gets to me then, even when i take colace with it (and it makes my son constipated too which leads me to believe it must be getting into breastmilk, ugh).

the weird thing is, i haven't been having any heartburn lately, just major nausea when i wake up. i have been sleeping better lately so i guess it's part of the problem (sleeping for 8 hours means no food for 8 hours so my stomach is empty). plus this time around i'm nursing which means i tend to get really dehydrated at night i guess bc i'm producing most of the milk then.

Pear is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

It can vary. I was sick every day until I had DD. I sometimes joke that pregnancy was the best diet I ever went on (I lost 35 pounds), but at the time it wasn't very funny.

Zofran helps some. It gave me an awful headache.

The best thing was trying to get in lots of protein whenever I could. If the inkling struck I went and got a steak.

LMPC is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Ugh, morning sickness stinks! I hope yours gets better...quickly! Have you tried the little sea sickness bands? Those are the only things that helped me to eat....and keep it down.
    Mommy to a total chatterbox
    DD now tells me she prefers to be known as a
    DD 10/08

peanut520 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm sorry. one of my contractor was so violently ill from her 9mos of ms that she was hospitalized twice with each of her boys.

have you tried candied ginger? i nibble on a chunk everytime i got that feeling and it helped.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast