Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

An article in this week's NEJM is about nausea in pregnancy

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMcp1003896

You might find it interesting and helpful to read.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by trales View Post
    An article in this week's NEJM is about nausea in pregnancy

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMcp1003896

You might find it interesting and helpful to read.
    thanks for the link! this article seems like it would very interesting, especially the first figure showing nausea vs HCG levels. though i cannot read the article or see the graphs, it says its available to subscribers only. thanx though!

kam is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

That's the article I was looking for! Thank you for posting it -- I'd been told JAMA, and was frustrated that I couldn't find it.

kam is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

That's the article I was looking for! Thank you for posting it -- I'd been told JAMA, and was frustrated that I couldn't find it.

(And now I'm annoyed taht I can't get more than the first 100 pages. I'll have to find a doc I know to send me the article).

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

You can get access through a library or as a free app for your iphone.

You can ask at any local college and just pay to print it if you want. Most community colleges will help you get access and print.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

This pregnancy for me was so much worse than my first. I was sick until around 20 weeks. Zofran took the nausea away, but didn't actually stop me from throwing up, and (TMI) I may as well have plugged my butt up with cotton balls. My doctor switched me to a suppository. Something similar to compazine. Baby does not need a sick mama. Go ask your doctor about it.
    Nancy
    DD Cara Flynn 10-25-05
    DD Lilah Jane 10-25-10 (How about that?)

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

thx everyone for the support. i was able to get a hold of the NEJM article, was very interesting, thank you! tomorrow is my 16wk ob appt so i will ask more about other options for treating the nausea.

well i was able to go for a few days without puking, but then yesterday was pretty bad, woke up at 2am to be sick, then woke up for the day with a major headache. all day sunday headache was pretty bad, but managed nausea with zofran. though still felt so bad i had to miss out on my friends' halloween party (boo). this morning woke up with a rotten headache (yet again) and terrible nausea, tried to eat but it was just so hard, i felt soo sick. and what i could eat i couldn't keep down, got sick several times which only made the headache worse so DH eventually took me to the ER so i could get some fluids and pain meds. thankfully our sitter was here to watch DS and thankfully i had bought some enfamil earlier to have in the house (since i will have to pump & dump due to pain meds).

anyway, oddly pretty much the same thing happened while i was preggo with DS at 19wks..got horrible headaches, persistent vomiting, major dehydration etc so bad that i had to go to ER for iv fluids and painkillers. it's weird bc my m/s was definitely at its worst from 6-12 weeks, i have no idea why it is rearing its ugly head again. i don't know WHAT happens biologically between 15-20wk timeframe but baby must be developing something major in there!! anyway, with DS, i never got sick once past 20wks, until i went into labor, so i'm keeping my fingers crossed...

Oh, I am so sorry to hear you're so sick. I went through this with Ds. My first pregnancy was a breeze...never felt or got sick, but Ds was a whole different ballgame.

I had terrible migraines (mine are hormonal anyhow) and bad nausea exacerbated by the headaches...and then as time wore on, the vomiting began. Around 15 weeks, it got to the point where I was unable to even keep water down, so off to the hospital we went, where they finally gave me Zofran (had been on Reglan/Phenergan) and Verapamil (for the migraines). I did not vomit or have another migraine from that night on.

If you are having a lot of problems with migraines, check into Verapamil. It's a blood pressure med (mine was fine), but it is thought to help dilate the blood vessels to help prevent migraines. It was a life-saver to me.

Oh, and as others have mentioned, Zofran is HORRIBLY constipated. I have never, ever been that miserably constipated in my life. Definitely be proactive there!
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ms.pacman♥ View Post
    thx everyone for the support. i was able to get a hold of the NEJM article, was very interesting, thank you! tomorrow is my 16wk ob appt so i will ask more about other options for treating the nausea.

well i was able to go for a few days without puking, but then yesterday was pretty bad, woke up at 2am to be sick, then woke up for the day with a major headache. all day sunday headache was pretty bad, but managed nausea with zofran. though still felt so bad i had to miss out on my friends' halloween party (boo). this morning woke up with a rotten headache (yet again) and terrible nausea, tried to eat but it was just so hard, i felt soo sick. and what i could eat i couldn't keep down, got sick several times which only made the headache worse so DH eventually took me to the ER so i could get some fluids and pain meds. thankfully our sitter was here to watch DS and thankfully i had bought some enfamil earlier to have in the house (since i will have to pump & dump due to pain meds).

anyway, oddly pretty much the same thing happened while i was preggo with DS at 19wks..got horrible headaches, persistent vomiting, major dehydration etc so bad that i had to go to ER for iv fluids and painkillers. it's weird bc my m/s was definitely at its worst from 6-12 weeks, i have no idea why it is rearing its ugly head again. i don't know WHAT happens biologically between 15-20wk timeframe but baby must be developing something major in there!! anyway, with DS, i never got sick once past 20wks, until i went into labor, so i'm keeping my fingers crossed...
    My pregnancy was really easy so I can't even imagine how horrible this is. I really hope you feel better, and SOON.

mousemom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ms.pacman♥ View Post
    with DS, i never got sick once past 20wks, until i went into labor, so i'm keeping my fingers crossed...
    Here's hoping that 20wks is the magical number this time around too! Sorry you're feeling so miserable!
    DS 11/08
    DS2 3/13

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast