Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default A few questions for Mirena users

It's come time for DH and I to make a decision about birth control. Since DD2 was born, our primary form of BC has been (ahem) abstinence. We KNOW we're done at two, but for whatever reason, a vasectomy makes us both a bit anxious. So, after researching a bit, it seems like Mirena may be our best option.

I just have a few questions for those of you on Mirena:

1. Milk supply- I'm still nursing DD2 (7 months) a lot. I've read that other forms of hormonal BC can affect milk production. For those of you who are still nursing and on Mirena, have you noticed a drop in milk supply? Is it better to hold off until we're done nursing (may not be for quite a while!)?

2. Effectiveness- I always hear stories of 'condom' babies, or 'vasectomy' babies, but haven't really heard of Mirena babies. Have you or anyone you know gotten pregnant while on Mirena?

3. S*x drive- Mine is already pretty much nil, due to the BF hormones, and exhaustion. Again, I know hormonal BC pills often lower your drive- does Mirena have the same effect?

Any answers or other comments would be greatly appreciated!!
    DD1 '08
    DD2 '10

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't have a Mirena any longer, but I did have one for quite a while. I don't remember when I got my Mirena, but I think it was about 2 months after DD was born. DD was exclusively breastfed and nursed until she was 16 months old. I never noticed a change with supply that I could attribute to Mirena. I didn't have any problems with milk production, though, so maybe if someone is struggling already, the Mirena/other BC could push them over the edge?? In my case, though, everything was fine.

I think that the risk of an ectopic pregnancy is raised with the Mirena. I've heard of a few Mirena babies, but don't know of anyone who had a pregnancy while she had a Mirena.

I think the biggest problem with my "drive" was bfing. It was only several months after DD weaned that I felt closer to pre-baby normal in that area. I had my Mirena for 3+ years after DD weaned. I would say bfing/with Mirena, I had a very low/nonexistent drive, that bumped up a whole lot after weaning, and then there was another bump up (but not as big) when the Mirena was removed.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I think you should consider Paragard too (the copper one). The cramps and heavier/ longer periods often only last a few months (if at all) then things are back to normal or only slightly different. I am sure there are some people who haven't had good experiences with the copper one but I love that it has no hormones. Whatever my body (weight, mood, libido...) aren't going to be impacted by the hormones in bc and that is good for me to know.

Beth

mikeys_mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I got one a few months after my twins were born. I have had it about 1.5 years now. Prior to that I was using BC pill (minipill while BF older to kids).

Milk supply - I did not notice any change. I am pretty sure my Dr told me that Mirena does not affect supply. I nursed my twins for 9 months with no supply issues.

Effectiveness - My Dr told me, that as with all forms of BC, it is never 100% effective, but that the Mirena has the lowest failure rate. I think it is partially because there is no chance for "user failure" - you don't need to remember to do anything daily.

Drive - I have not had any issues once I finished BF, went back to normal. I also never had issues while on the pill.

I my Mirena!
    DS - 10
    DD - 8
    Twin Girls - 6

I got mine when DD was 7 weeks old. I nursed her no problems until she was 2.

Re: Pregnancy this is from their website
    Q: What happens if I do get pregnant while using Mirena?
    A: In the uncommon event you get pregnant while using Mirena, seek emergency care because pregnancy with an intrauterine device can be life threatening and may result in loss of pregnancy or fertility.

My sex drive has greatly improved since I stopped nursing. I don't think the Mirena has effected it either way.

FWIW I haven't seen Aunt Flo since I've had the Mirena and I don't miss her at all!!!!
    Sarah
    DS 5/26/05
    DS 5/12/07 our angel
    DD 4/8/08

Moralizing and morals are two entirely different things and are always found in entirely different people. Don Herold

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I've had my Mirena for 6weeks and I'm still nursing DD2 who is 10mos. I haven't noticed a drop in my supply that I can attribute to Mirena. It has dropped a bit recently but she's increased her solids and is sleeping more through the night, so those are factors.

My sex drive has improved in the past month even though it's not back to normal. I'm sure BF and exhaustion are causing that. The only downside is that I've been spotting almost daily since having it inserted (which can happen for the first 3-6 months) and well, that's keep us from DTD. DH claims it has such a high success rate because no one's doing it! LOL!

I have heard of Mirena babies. But don't know anyone IRL.

My OB said that sterilization, nuva ring, and IUD are the 3 most popular BC choices for OBs to use themselves.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

I'm 2.5 years into a mirena, had it placed at 6 wks p.p with DD.

I don't know of anyone who had had a mirena baby-but I hear it does happen, but by % it is as effective/more effective as sterilization

I nursed DD to 1.5, no problems with supply

Sex drive is great now. While nursing it was nil-ish but it wasn't any worse with the mirena than it was after DS was born when we used condoms.
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

jenmcadams is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm at 5 years (getting ready to have Mirena #2 inserted in December)....I got it inserted 6 weeks postpartum with my DS and saw no change in milk supply. I also saw no different in drive with or without it, but also didn't have a problem with BC pills in my 20s in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by katydid1971 View Post
    FWIW I haven't seen Aunt Flo since I've had the Mirena and I don't miss her at all!!!!
    This is the same for me and the best part about the Mirena...for me, I'm lucky that the pill also had the same effect...the hormones don't tend to bother me and I love not getting a period each month.
    Mom to a DD (8/02) and a DS (6/05)

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I agree about looking into Paragard. I just got one inserted- I'm not done, but that last pregnancy was SO traumatic. I can't do anything hormonal though, so the copper is great. Plus, since you're all done, it works for 10 years as opposed to 5.

You may also want to look into Implanon. It is injected into your upper arm & is good for 3 years. You don't have to check any threads & no worry about it getting dislodged. My OB said it's very popular these days.

Dr C is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I really liked my mirena. Had it placed 6 weeks postpartum with DS. Didn't seem to affect my sex drive. LOVED not having periods.
    Mine was one of the rare ones that had any complication, but it fell out. Sort of a freak thing that can occasionally happen. I had period-like bleeding for about a month and finally went in to see my OB and the Mirena was partially out. In hindsight the bleeding should have been a tipoff! In any case, It worked out well because by that time I was ready to have it removed to start trying for DC #2.
    Despite the fact that I had that happen, I would do the mirena again (the only reason I haven't is because DH had himself, er, taken out of the gene pool after DD was born).
    My sweet boy 8/06
    My beautiful girl 10/09

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast