Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default How long does a breast pump last?

I work 3 days/week and pump 3x/day. I have a Medela PISA. I used it for about 5 months with DD2 and plan on using it for about 9 months with DD2. Then, I have agreed to let my sister use it. Will I need to get another one if I have DC3? Will it last through 4 babies? I can't really see how I could not let my sister borrow it (they are not in the best financial situation right now.)

WitMom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have the same pump. I worked full time with both of my girls, and pumped 3 times a day for a full year for both. So mine has two years of hard use on it and I never had a problem. If we have a third, I'm curious to see how much more it will take.

infocrazy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have an Ameda Purely Yours. I am at my halfway point (yea!) in my third YEAR of pumping! I did have to buy new whatever those white things are called but otherwise working fine.
    Jen

DS in X-Small 7/12, Medium 5/07, and Large 7/05, one DD 3/10, and our DS 4/09 watching over us.

brgnmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have the PISA which I used 4 years ago for about a year+ with my DS, and I'm planning on using it again with my DD who will be born soon. I think it should last for this second time around (only planning on pumping once or twice per day if I need to increase my supply), and if we plan on having a third child after a smaller age gap, I'm hoping it will work then too.

I exclusively pumped for 5 months with a borrowed PISA that had already been through 4 other babies. I borrowed it from a friend, and I know someone else used it after me too (so now it's on baby #6.) We just all bought new tubing & were good to go.
    Mom to DD - my thriving preemie - Jan 2009

catsnkid is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I had a PISA that had been through 2 other babies. The plastic on the front started to crack and it stopped working 11 mos out.. I'm getting a new pump next time..

lhafer is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I had a Medela PIS (original) when my daughter was born 4 years ago. I exclusively pumped with her for the first 4 months (on average 8 pumps/day). Then my friend borrowed it for her son and used it for several months. Then I used it again when my baby was born earlier this year. I breastfeed, and pumped less often, but still pumped ~3-4 times per day for 6 months. Since we are not having any more children, I sold it on craigslist. It was still going strong.

I have a friend who bought a Medela when her son was born a year ago (in November) and she breastfeed, and pumped occasionally for when she worked. It stopped working for her earlier this year. She ended up buying the Purely Yours one instead. I think she got a dud of a pump though because it's been my experience (mine and others) that Medelas are workhorses, and seem to last forever if taken care of properly.