♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default maternity clothes that won't make me sweat?

ok so the nursing + pregnancy hormones have me feeling like i'm constantly having hot flashes. i am pretty miserable every time i go out (yes it's October, but it's still in the 70s-80s here). i've realized that a big part of it too is that when i go out, i usually have 3 layers on top (secret fit belly band from maternity pants + nursing tank + top). i took my son to his first Gymboree class today and while it was fun i was *dying* in there, i would have given anything to jump in a pool of ice water. i was so embarrassed, i must have looked like a huge sweaty beast compared to all the other moms who looked all put together in cute sweaters and skinny jeans.

so, if anyone has any suggestions/tips, i'm all ears. i think i may need to buy some nursing bras (i only have tanks really) to eliminate an extra layer, which would be okay since pac-baby doesn't nurse that often anymore. though i have no idea what types are good. another challenge is those dang maternity pants..i normally like the secret fit belly but it adds an extra layer to the tummy which doesn't help with overheating. but with pants without that, i feel like the under belly band is always digging into me, or if it's too loose, always feel like they're about to fall down. i would buy maternity shorts, but i can't seem to find them in-store anywhere these days (i would have to try them on).

sorry this sounds like a rant, but i've been in maternity clothes for close to 18 months now (and will be for at least another year), and i am starting to get frustrated at the lack of comfortable/stylish options, especially for warm weather....

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

How about a maternity tank or cami dress in a lightweight knit and maternity cropped leggings? IMO pregnant moms look cute in the dress/leggings combo Though hopefully it will cool off soon!

thx for the suggestion. i was gifted a pair of maternity leggings last year and i tried them on but i hated them...i felt like i was wearing tights or something, felt very constricting. i don't know, maybe they were too small or something (also they weren't cropped). the other thing is, even if i found a pair of comfy leggings i liked, i run into the problem of finding shoes to wear with them (right now i can't wear heels, and even flats are uncomfortable..i'm pretty much stuck wearing orthotic flip flops till it freezes outside).

i'd love to find a maternity tank though. problem is, i've waited too long and they're almost impossible to find now, even online. unfortunately from my last pg i mostly just have cold-weather maternity clothes.

ETA: well i was actually able to find a few maternity tanks in my size online at Old Navy, plus they were on clearance (woo!). they had maternity cropped leggings for $12.50 that got decent ratings, so i figured it was worth a shot (i can always return to store if i don't like). i hope they're comfy and that leggings + flipflops don't look too weird. anyways thanx for the suggestions!!
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 10-20-2010 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ms.pacman♥ View Post

ETA: well i was actually able to find a few maternity tanks in my size online at Old Navy, plus they were on clearance (woo!). they had maternity cropped leggings for $12.50 that got decent ratings, so i figured it was worth a shot (i can always return to store if i don't like). i hope they're comfy and that leggings + flipflops don't look too weird. anyways thanx for the suggestions!!
    I've been wearing leggings & flip flops for a few months now with maternity t-shirts. Since it has been kinda cold & rainy this past wk, I've switched it up to maternity skinny jeans and ballet flats with the same shirts and a long open cardigan or light long-sleeve shirts. It has been very comfy esp. the leggings/flip flops look (w/c I didn't think look weird) but the jean's underbelly band sometimes is uncomfortable co'z it digs in but I figured maybe my tummy isn't big enough for it yet since that's how I felt with my ON leggings at first as opposed to the H&M leggings that was comfy all throughout.

I found some great lighweight cotton/ jersey outfits at Old Navy Maternity. They were so comfortable that I hated to part with them after I lost baby weight.

I, too, was pregnant/ in maternity clothes for two years straight, so I totally get the idea of being sick of the styles.
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

thx everyone. can't wait to get my order from ON. in add'n to cropped leggings and tanks i found some short-sleeved maternity tunics that hopefully will look nice with leggings. and my tummy is big enough that i definitely look preggo (i look like i'm well into 3rd trimester already!) so hopefully i can pull off that "cute preggo lady "look..haha.

i have really found ON to be great for maternity stuff, indeed lots of lightweight cotton stuff that is good for hot weather. last time i got most stuff at Motherhood Maternity and while it was cute at the time i think a lot of the tops were mostly polyester and no way i could wear it now, i would sweat up a storm.

If you're around a B&M Gap Maternity, you might wanna try that as well co'z their stuff are pretty cute & comfy too and cheaper than others including ON when the items are on sale.

brgnmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ms.pacman♥ View Post
    thx everyone. can't wait to get my order from ON. in add'n to cropped leggings and tanks i found some short-sleeved maternity tunics that hopefully will look nice with leggings. and my tummy is big enough that i definitely look preggo (i look like i'm well into 3rd trimester already!) so hopefully i can pull off that "cute preggo lady "look..haha.

i have really found ON to be great for maternity stuff, indeed lots of lightweight cotton stuff that is good for hot weather. last time i got most stuff at Motherhood Maternity and while it was cute at the time i think a lot of the tops were mostly polyester and no way i could wear it now, i would sweat up a storm.
    just thought I'd add that I also found some tank tops from Gilligan & O'Malley at Target that are comfy and lightweight. It looks like this one is 50% off at $8.xx (http://www.target.com/Gilligan-OMall...&node=13768271) currently. the full-sling version is also on sale: http://www.target.com/Gilligan-OMall...n&frombrowse=0. there are other colors (ebony, for example) that are 1/2 off too. HTH!