Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Used Ameda pump OK? (and other pump questions)

I'm a little confused... All over the web I see warnings not to use secondhand breast pumps because bacteria can get in the works, etc. I also see Ameda advertises that their pump has a different kind of diaphragm that keeps its innards separate. It would seem to me that makes it OK for multiple users if you replace the parts that contact milk, but I'm a little afraid to make that assumption on my own. Does anyone have confirmation about this?

Another question about getting it used: I hear pump motors in general have limited lifespan, can anyone experienced tell me if this is enough to make it worth getting a new one? The difference can be about $200 and funds are really tight around here... but if I would have to replace the pump before I finish feeding my baby anyway... this is a tough call :-/

Final question: When reading reviews around the web, some mention that the ameda pump beeps. I would like to hope they've fixed that stupidity especially since it annoys so many customers... has anyone bought one recently? Does it still have a beeping problem??? Like I said I'm tight on funds but if I'm spending over $200 anyway I do not want a beeping issue. Especially not at work!

infocrazy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Yes, the Ameda should be fine used. You will just need to get a new hygiene kit. I have a Purely Yours and am almost halfway through my third year of pumping (multiple kids). Hmmm...it doesn't beep though, mine is at least 5 yrs old too, but any pump is not quiet and has a very tell tale sound if you know what it is...

You shouldn't pay over $200 for a new one though, Amazon has them for around $159, you don't need to get the bag etc, I actually use the diaper bag my hospital gave me for free. Another option is the Lansinoh brand which is actually made by Ameda and looks the same although it is purple. Amazon/Drugstore.com has it for $102 w free shipping

http://www.amazon.com/Lansinoh-Doubl...7934685&sr=8-1
    Jen

DS in X-Small 7/12, Medium 5/07, and Large 7/05, one DD 3/10, and our DS 4/09 watching over us.

Default the bag difference?

Thanks for the tips! If it can be bought for about $100 I think I may just go for a new one for the security of warranty protection and knowing where it's been; probably by the time I would factor in a new hygiene-kit the price would be similar enough anyway.

About not needing the bag, this was also confusing to me, maybe some more people can weigh in... On one hand, it seems ridiculous that they charge $50 for each bag upgrade (no bag - 159, regular bag - 209, backpack bag - 239, "ultra" bag 299?!!!!) On the other hand, each one seems to come with a different permutation of things included... hard to figure out what I will need or what will be worth it... argh. Also, will just any bag do a good job of keeping the supplies safe and orderly? Or does the ameda bag have some special shape or compartments that make it perfect for this? I'm not too concerned about the cooler bag, though I could see it coming in handy on occasion when traveling, in general I would just be using this for work where I have access to a fridge so it would just be out in room temperature for my 1/2 hour (on average) commute.

Opinions, please!

I am currently shopping for a Lansinoh Affinity, which is the same as the Ameda - it's the newest model. They have it for $99 at diapers.com, and you could take 15% off if it's your first purchase with a referral code. Unfortunately I've already made a purchase there so I can't get that discount. That's about the best deal I've found though and I think I'm going to bite the bullet and order it today.

I'm not sure about the Affinity... it seems to get more iffy reviews than the original and since it's a new model there are no reviews of how it holds up in the long run...

Also wanted to add that the $102 (original) lansinoh double electric at drugstore.com is eligible for a 20% off coupon and free shipping! Yowser, I wasn't really ready to purchase a pump right now (was planning for after I give birth, to max out on warranty and give more time for comparison shopping) but I don't know if I should wait when I can get a pretty good pump for +/- $80 and it might be discontinued in favor of the new one...

I'm just wondering if the cheaper versions are really worth it or do you end up spending more in the long run to gather all the accessories. Like some of the more expensive versions seem to come with more replacement parts, different sized flanges, the carrying bag... opinions?

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I loved my Ameda Purely Yours pump, and knowing now how it works, I wouldn't mind buying it used.

However, my insurance company paid 80% of my pump cost. If you have health insurance, you should check with them. A couple of minior annoyances.. the insurance required my OB to write a perscription for the pump (She just wrote "breast pump", so I could pick my own make and model) and my insurance company had a list of places to buy it from to get the 80%. The places I had to buy from charged more for it.

I bought mine in late '09, and I had no beeping issue. It does, however, make noise... there's no disguising it, or quieting it.

The only issue I ever had with my pump was that I had a hard time getting replacement parts _in person_, though there are plenty of places online to buy them. I was exclusively pumping, and went through a lot of valves. They're very cheap, I would really recomend having a couple pairs on hand. (I think I got 4 for $3 last time?)

Good luck, and please feel free to PM me if you have other specific questions.

Beth24 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I bought the Ameda PY pump in June and I like it a lot. it doesn't beep or make excessive noise. I haven't needed any replacement parts yet either although I did buy a few just to have them. I bought the pump without the bag btw. You can use any bag for it.
    DS, 15
    DD, 10
    DS, 3

Uno-Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

About the bag - my pump is a Medela that comes built into a black backpack. I often wish it wasn't attached into a bag. Sure, it's discrete and professional-looking but it looks like a laptop bag!!! So, I feel compelled to haul it with me every time I leave my station wagon parked. Very irritating when you already have a messenger bag and often an actual laptop to carry through Target when you stop off to grab diaper cream on your way home from work.

Sometimes I wish it came in a big pink bag labeled "breast pump on board!"

Often bumbling mother to baby girl "Sprog"
    Born November, 2009

rai is offline Bronze level (10+ posts)

Default More about bag

Does anyone else have anymore input about the ultra bag? Is it really needed? Is it insulated? Do you find it useful?

Momto1 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by rai View Post
    Does anyone else have anymore input about the ultra bag? Is it really needed? Is it insulated? Do you find it useful?

I wouldn't pay extra for a bag. If the pump comes with a bag, then that's fine. I used a Medela PISA for about a year. It was soooo obviously a pump bag, and I didn't really like that. For the last 3 months or so that I pumped, I switched to a Lansinoh Double Electric and carried it the pump in cute little tote bag. I kept a cooler bag at my desk and just popped the bottles into it when I got back from pumping.
    WOHM to DD, born 5/4/09

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast