mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default G-luxe or Flite?

Which would be the better lightweight umbrella? Any thoughts on:
    -which pushes better?
    -which folds easier?
    -which has the best canopy and basket?
    -which reclines more?

I love the colors of the Flite more but am trying not to let that be my deciding factor... oh how I love you seagrass!

Here is a baby gizmo video review on the flite. I have heard mixed reviews on the steering.

Also have heard mixed reviews on the g-luxe. Someone was just recently complaining about its durability.

Sorry I don't have more to say. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by mackmama View Post
    Which would be the better lightweight umbrella? Any thoughts on:
    -which pushes better?
    -which folds easier?
    -which has the best canopy and basket?
    -which reclines more?

I love the colors of the Flite more but am trying not to let that be my deciding factor... oh how I love you seagrass!
    I don't own either one, but I can tell you what I've gathered from reviews:

1) They both have mediocre pushes. Like Roseyloxs said, mixed reviews on push and steering. Personally I'd test them both out in store with my kid inside before purchasing, if at all possible.

2) I think they both have umbrella folds and so probably fold about the same. But it has been awhile since I've folded either one so I'll leave that to someone else to answer fully. The G-luxe stands when folded, which is a cool feature for an umbrella, but I read a lot of reviews that the stand-foot breaks easily.

3) The G-luxe got a better canopy for 2010 and now it's supposed to be even better for 2011. The Bumbleride canopy is awesome if you unsnap the back. You can see pics in Strollerqueens review (strollerqueen.blogspot.com). They both have your basic skimpy umbrella basket although I have heard the G-luxe one is easier to access. I'm confused as to how that's true, but that's what I've heard.

4) The Bumbleride reclines flat, I believe. The G-luxe is a deep recline, but does not recline flat. The Bumbleride can also take a carseat and a carrycot, which the G-luxe cannot.

The big differences between these two strollers are things you didn't mention. The G-luxe is significantly lighter. But the Flite is more full-featured. In addition to being able to take a carseat and carrycot, it can also take the snack pack, I believe. If you want the umbrella for an older child or for public transport, travel etc. where weight is important I would get the G-luxe. Otherwise for a newborn or very young baby the Flite looks like a fun option. Having heard mediocre reviews on the steering and push I'd want to try it out before buying though.

val01 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default G-Luxe

I bought a g-luxe recently. We have been very pleased with it, although I can't speak to the durability. We took it in a very close shelved store this past week and we have no problems manuevering around. I love the canopy for my redhead son. I took it after we bought it to BRU and tested it against the Quest, etc. I don't think its as tippy as the Quest.

I hope this helps. Oh, and like the pp said, it's 11lbs.

Valerie
    ~Valerie, mom to S. (1/30/07-8/30/10) and Z. born 2009.

mackmama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks for the info... I wish there was a store nearby that carried both so I could do a side-by-side comparison. The Flite is listed as 13 lbs, and the Gluxe at 11 lbs. I wonder how much of a difference those 2 lbs make? I do worry about the durability of the gluxe and the steering of the flite. Hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by mackmama View Post
    Thanks for the info... I wish there was a store nearby that carried both so I could do a side-by-side comparison. The Flite is listed as 13 lbs, and the Gluxe at 11 lbs. I wonder how much of a difference those 2 lbs make? I do worry about the durability of the gluxe and the steering of the flite. Hmmm...
    In her review (strollerqueen.blogspot.com) Strollerqueen weighed the Flite at 15.5 lbs. I'd trust that.

jacksmoma is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

i'd go with the flite out of those two...the g-luxe just looks to flimsy to me unless you'll be carring it on your back a ton.

The Flite is indeed 15.5 lbs. The things about the G-Luxe that I didn't like is no footrest. And also the canopy is made of this meshy material which has no SPF protection, which the company confirmed for me. Although there is a pullout thingy that is an SPF screen. Makes no sense to me why the pullout thing would have SPF protection if you're not going to make the whole canopy that way. The thing about the Flite that I have reservations about is the angle of the seat - I wish it was more upright. And the weight. HTH!

The new g-luxe will have a legrest. (which IMO is not always so important depending on the kid, especially after about 8 or 9 mos - My DS doesn't much care for it)
    I don't have anything else to contribute, being a Mac girl myself

I was looking at the Flite again in the store the other day. It is a one-handed steer empty, but it has the same feel to it as the Blink so my guess would be it would get sluggish around 30 lbs. If you like seagrass maybe consider the Flyer? Then you get the reversible option. You're shopping for a newborn, right?

For umbrellas I am a Maclaren convert now that I have my ryder. (Although I would not recommend the Volo to anyone.)