Sidney is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Carriers used on backs

I'm thinking of getting some sort of carrier along the lines of an Ergo, Lillebaby, etc. One thing that I don't like from the pictures is that when the babies are worn on the parent's back, they sit so low and can only see if they turn their heads. That doesn't seem too comfortable...I know I don't like keeping my head turned all the time. Plus, how can the child see anything? I think a carrier where the baby can be looking over the parent's shoulder so that the baby had the option of looking ahead or turning their head. Similar to those big frame backpacks, but smaller.

Is this possible with any carrier?

My son is 9 months old, weighs close to 21lbs and is very tall (97%tile).

eta: I can't seem to find any place local to try out different carriers.

lhafer is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Actually babies are comfortable that way. Just because it may seem uncomfortable to us, doesn't mean they don't like to be in that position. I haven't seen any carriers (soft structured - not metal) that have the child sit that high up on the back. Personally as a mom, I wouldn't want the child that close to my hair! But it also seems like a tipping issue. If they are that high up on your back, then your center of gravity would be WAY off. The metal hicking kind of carriers are specifically made for that. If you look at the metal framed carriers closely - they pretty much all have the baby a little "away" from the body to counteract the center of gravity. Plus wearing a child strapped high on your body defeats the design of most of the good carriers out there. It puts strain on the shoulders and upper back. Whereas something like the Ergo puts the babies weight down on the hips, making for a much more comforable carry for long periods of time.

http://aboutbabywearing.com/babywear...baby-carriers/

It depends on how "loose" you keep your carrier, and how big your kiddo is. Younger babies like the closeness of it. And as they grow, they get taller and can lean back more and see all around.

And if you get started early - they never know what they are missing!
    Last edited by lhafer; 10-25-2010 at 12:46 PM.

Sidney is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Thanks! You make great points...some that have never occurred to me. It definitely makes more sense to have the baby lower on the back...I guess I was just thinking about neck comfort of him.

Do you have personal experience with this style carrier? I would like to ocassionally wear Evan facing out, and not for long periods of time. I'm just thinking of situations if we go see animals at a non-friendly stroller place, like a farm he might enjoy the experience more facing out.

I suppose I could use the hip carry feature in this instances?

ang79 is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

You could try a wrap or mei tai to get a high back carry but for the age of your son I don't think you would be able to do that very long.

As far as buckle carriers go, I have used an Ergo, an Action Baby Carrier, a Toddler Patapum, and now have a Boba. The Ergo was very supportive, but I did not like how thick/hot/heavy it was, especially in the summer. Loved my Action Baby Carrier, started wearing DD in it around 8 mos. to 21 mos. Very lightweight which means cooler in the summer and folds up really small. Fit me great and I'm a petite mama. Very easy to use, just a nice simple carrier. The Patapum didn't fit my petite frame very well so I didn't really get a chance to use it. And now I have a Boba and I love it! I still use my Action Baby Carrier occaisionally for quick shopping trips as it stays in my car, but I can tell a big difference between that and the Boba. My 23 mos. old is small for her age but she has recently decided that its fun to lean from side to side and in the Action Baby Carrier she has more freedom to do that because she doesn't sit as deep (no seat darts like the Boba) and then it pulls on my neck and shoulders. I do not have this problem with the Boba, its super comfy to wear her in it. I wore her for at least 2 hrs. at a local zoo and no problems at all

But, every carrier fits everyone differently, depending on the kid and you. Do you have a local babywearing group that you could go to to try things on and get some tips?

Not being able to face out really wan't a big deal for my DS. He'd just turn his head from side to side, and I'd turn my body if I thought he needed a better view.

Uno-Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

There's a high back carry option if you use a mai tai. I have one, but use our Ergo almost 100% because it's just so darn easy and comfortable.

Sprog is totally content with the Ergo positioning. I do stand a little sideways for some spectacles, so she can have a better view. But she seems to love it. When she's on the front, she seems aware that we're sharing the view because she can look up and see me turning my head with her. KWIM?

She's just getting to the point where she can peak over my shoulder from the back. And a PP who said it matters how tight you sinch the carrier - that's right on. My upper body is petite and she's kind of low on back if I don't tighten the straps all the way.

Often bumbling mother to baby girl "Sprog"
    Born November, 2009