Question hand-me-down baby bjorn?

Hello everyone!

I am a brand new momma of a 3 week old daughter and I am in the process of figuring out how best to take her out and about for errands and things. I posted in the lounge about how I don't feel like her carseat is secure in the shopping cart for grocery shopping trips and lots of moms suggested wearing her while I shop. I love that idea. I have 2 carriers - a new infantino wrap and tie (like a mei tai carrier) and a used baby bjorn.

I have worn baby in the wrap and tie around the house but I feel like it doesn't support her head much and feel like it might be better when her neck is a little bit stronger. I haven't tried her in the baby bjorn yet but feel like it might help hold her head steadier while she is so tiny. So my question is, should I be concerned about using a used baby bjorn? It looks pretty "dated" but all the seams are strong and it isn't ripped anywhere. All the snaps and buckles seem secure. The snaps include a toggle that goes through a loop then snaps. It has a part on the bottom that slides to different lengths depending on how big the baby is and also has little extra leg straps for when the baby is little so the leg openings aren't quite so big. It is navy blue on the outside and plaid on the inside. I can't find a year on it anywhere. Can anyone think of a reason this wouldn't be a safe carrier to use with my baby? Are there any safety issues with older models of a baby bjorn?

Has anyone used the wrap and tie or a mei tai with a newborn baby? How do you keep the baby's head from flopping?

Thank you so much!!!

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Bjorns and other carriers are great for the grocery store. I think it'll be fine . Remember to use those extra leg buckles until... I think 10 lbs? And carry the baby facing in until she has decent neck control. At 3-4 months or so you can turn her around to face the world.

I would hold off on the mei tai until that age as well. That particular Infantino, if it's the one I'm thinking of (similar to / ripoff of CatBird Baby's), is really nice and I think you'll get a ton of use out of it over the next year.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I'd double check the recall status just to be sure but odds are you are ok. I loved my Bjorn at that age because I could wear it under my coat and keep it almost all fastened. When I got to my destination I just had to undo part of one side and slide baby in. It made winter errands fast and easy- and warm!

Beth

thanks everyone! makes me feel a lot better about using this carrier!