Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    firstbaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Help me pick our carriers :)

I'm due with #3 in a few months and can't imagine getting day to day stuff done without a couple of great carriers. I picked up an Ergo a few weeks ago, but I know I may not use that the first few months. So, what would you get if you were me? We homeschool, are pretty active and I'll be nursing. Should I look at both a sling and something like a Moby Wrap? I'm open to getting more than one type of carrier and am looking forward to ditching our bjorn this time around. TIA

ETA: my two kids were bigger babies at birth - 9 lbs and almost 9 lbs if weight factors into carrier recommendations at all.
    Last edited by firstbaby; 10-26-2010 at 10:47 PM.

ged is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I love my hotslings pouch. I had a moby for both babies, but never got much use out of it either time. I know others *love* it, but the pouch was just so much easier to put on and off, so I always reached for that first.

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I know lots of mamas love the stretchy wraps like Moby. I had a handmade one that I used with my first but then I discovered mei tais with my second and I found them so much easier. The long fabric of the wrap just overwhelmed my small frame. You can easily make your own stretchy wrap with 5 yards of fabric (actually, you can make two!). Some fabrics don't even need hemming

Ring slings are supposed to be great for nursing. I preferred a two shouldered carrier though with my second since I was getting up and down from sitting on the floor with my older toddler and chasing after her at the playground. I started using my mei tais when DD2 was about a week old. I just froggied her legs and she snuggled right in and fell right asleep! I had a CatBird Baby and an older BabyHawk (without the headrest) and found they were both pretty similar as far as body size, strap angle, and comfort for me and baby. I did have a SlingLings pouch that I kept in my diaper bag and used for quick carries but they are hard to judge what size you are going to need when you are preggo, so you may want to hold off on buying something fitted until you know your post preggo size.

Good luck!

I would take a look at a Pikkolo, a Mei Tai and/or the new Becco Gemini.

Catherine

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm using a Baby Hawk Mei Tai for my DD3. I use it almost exclusively. I just ordered another one, so I don't wear it out so quickly. I use it almost daily. I do have to admit that my my daughter is not exactly a heavy weight. She is nearly 10 weeks & weighs 9 lbs 8 oz.

lowrioh is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

For DD1 I used a ring sling and a pouch for the first couple of months. This time I wanted to try a wrap so I stalked CL and ended up with a Hug-a-bub wrap which I'm pretty excited about. I was going to get a LoveyDuds wrap if I couldn't find something good used.

I read the Babywearer forums for help and there is also an active For Sale group. DiaperSwappers also has a For Sale forum for carriers if you want to get a previously owned one.
    The Babywearer folks seem to be very dedicated baby wearers and some of the wraps are a ton of $$$.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I love my wrap, but I readily admit that there's a learning curve.

If you tend to have bigger babies, may I suggest a woven wrap, like the Gypsymama Bali Breeze or an EllaRoo, instead of a stretchy wrap like the Moby? The woven wraps may be a bit more difficult to work with than a stretchy wrap, but they don't sag as much as a stretchy one might. Also, IMO, they're easier to wear when it's warm, which it will very likely be while you're teaching.

Another advantage to the wrap is you can tie it to function as a sling using the videos posted by GypsyMama/Wrapsody on YouTube (or on their website: http://www.gypsymama.com/using.htm)

If I wanted another carrier in addition to my Ergo & wrap, however, I'd go with either a BabyHawk Oh Snap! or a Beco Gemini.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I love my Beco Butterfly, however if I was buying now I'd probably look at the Gemini because it can be used FFing, and as a hip carry, but I am still perfectly happy with the Butterfly and will be using that for a long time.

I love the idea of the Moby but I am a klutz so I honestly knew that the Beco was the best way to go for me. I found that the Ergo hurt my back more. I would go sling/wrap shopping with someone who has an actually baby that you can try them with.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    I love my Beco Butterfly, however if I was buying now I'd probably look at the Gemini because it can be used FFing, and as a hip carry, but I am still perfectly happy with the Butterfly and will be using that for a long time.

I love the idea of the Moby but I am a klutz so I honestly knew that the Beco was the best way to go for me. I found that the Ergo hurt my back more. I would go sling/wrap shopping with someone who has an actually baby that you can try them with.
    I hear that the Butterfly is better with infants & also tall mommies.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by swissair81 View Post
    I hear that the Butterfly is better with infants & also tall mommies.
    The Gemini is really adjustable and can accommodate infants without good head control. The top panel of the pouch can flip up like it does on the Bjorn. IDK that I would go smaller than 7lbs in the Gemini, as it doesn't have an insert, but I only tried it with my daughter.

The Butterfly's built-in insert is ideal for tinier babies. I looked at it and can't see myself using it ... it seemed more suited to someone a bit more petite in the chest & shoulders than I am.

FWIW, I am a tall mama and I found the Gemini very comfortable with my then-6-month-old when we played with it last month. She nearly fell asleep in it! (The woman we tested it with also had tried it out with a newborn the previous week and she said that he did OK in it; the baby's legs will need to be froggied and the bottom of the carrier can be cinched to shorten the pouch for a tinier baby.)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast