Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Beth24 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default When did you start using your Ergo?

Just wondering when you can start using the Ergo without the infant inserts? I have the Ergo sport which is nice and lightweight, but when I use it with the infant insert (I have both the older one and the heart 2 heart) it is way too hot for both of us. My baby is 3 months old and a big chunk, probably about 15 pounds. TIA.
    DS, 15
    DD, 10
    DS, 3

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

With my second, I used it around 3m without the insert. With my third, I used it at 2d without the insert as he was 9lb and it was June. Surprisingly, he was okay as long as I minded his head/neck. I never used the insert with him at all, which was weird b/c I used it all the time with DS1. That being said, mos 3-5 were the only time DH used the bjorn b/c of the "facing out" feature.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I think it's like an exersaucer/jumperoo - you're supposed to start at 4-5 months, when there is good head and trunk control.

In a pinch I've used it earlier than that, wrapping DS lightly in a blanket and froggying his legs. But it's not the same as when the baby's able to sit properly in the thing.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I tried it with DD when she was 3mos and seemed big enough, but she started to curl chin-to-chest and I didn't like that, so I went back to the wrap.

The heart 2 heart insert is a great idea, and I do love it a great deal, but it does get super-sweaty super-quick!

Once DD could hold her head up fine I skipped out on the insert. Until that point, however, I just used my EllaRoo wrap.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

With DD1, around 5-6 months, and planning the same with DD2. It's just sitting there, gathering dust, but I don't want to get her in it before she is ready.

for Sandy Hook

I think the instructions say 15 lbs. We started when DD was about 3 to 3.5 months and had decent neck control (she was good with her neck early on), but were careful to keep a hand my her head in case she lost control.

I started using it at 4 1/2 months or so. But not very often. I feel like dd is really just fitting in it properly at nearly six months and she is big.

Catherine

Thanks everyone. I will try him out in it tomorrow after I confirm his weight at his 3 month check up. He has great head control and I'm excited to try it out instead of my moby wrap which is way too much fabric in the heat wave we are having.
    DS, 15
    DD, 10
    DS, 3

sunnyside is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I just started using the Ergo with Chlöe and she just turned 3 months old and weighs about 13 pounds. I am very careful with her in it and definitely watch her head etc, but she seems to do just fine. I thought about putting something under her booty to lift her up a bit because she does feel a little short for it even though she is actually fairly long.
    Mama to two sweet girls - Summer 2010 and Spring 2015

Quote Originally Posted by mishkamishka View Post
    I just started using the Ergo with Chlöe and she just turned 3 months old and weighs about 13 pounds. I am very careful with her in it and definitely watch her head etc, but she seems to do just fine. I thought about putting something under her booty to lift her up a bit because she does feel a little short for it even though she is actually fairly long.
    Sorry I missed your post! DS is 4 months old in 3 days (just a few days older thanChloe) and probably 16 or more pounds. I've been using the Ergo but his legs aren't long enough to put around me. Do you just frog Chloe's legs inside the Ergo? Do you think that's ok? I've done it a few times and he seems comfortable but I still wonder!
    DS, 15
    DD, 10
    DS, 3

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast