Default Moby wrap or Baby k'tan?

I am a first time mom due Jan. and decided on getting a Beco Gemini. I got a hand me down Slingling from my sister which I intended to use from birth to about when she's big enough for the Beco. Problem is..... I just found out that the sling is not really good for the newborn co'z of the way the chin hits the chest. I was looking into a Moby wrap instead of that and was told that it's a better option than the pouch but it seems complicated when I tried it although it was quite comfortable. Also, I came across Baby k'tan but haven't tried it myself and seems a lot easier than a wrap. Would a k'tan be better for a newborn than a moby wrap?

i prefer the k'tan for exactly the reason you stated. i could easily put it on myself. it is so easy to put the baby in. i could never get the moby feeling very secure. you should ask around to see if anyone you know may have a moby and try it out. i was surprised that my friend had one, i tried it and could never get the tension right. many thrift stores have them too. you could go in and try.

my advise with the k'tan is that if you are on the edge of a size, size down. i bought a small. i was about 135-40lbs and 5'4". i have a small chest and i think that matters in sizing quite a bit. so if you are heavy up top consider that when purchasing. hth
    neeley

Beth24 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have a moby and I love it. I know it seems complicated but once you get used to it it's fast and easy. I watched YouTube videos of moms tying theirs and got great tips and just practiced until I had it down.
    DS, 15
    DD, 10
    DS, 3

I also liked the moby (but never tried the k'tan). You can use a pouch, or ring sling from birth, as long as it's not the heavily padded type. There are lots of sites that show correct positioning for newborns, my favorite resource being thebabywearer.com.

i prefer my K'tan as well. both the moby and K'tan give you basically the same carry positions and same feel, but the k'tan is simply a lot easier to use. i struggled with the moby, and even after i figured it out and got it down pat, it was still to much fabric on me (the ends would drag on the ground and get all dirty/wet and there were just so many layers). the k'tan is simpler to put on and less material. my one comment about k'tan would be to make sure you get the right size - a snug fit is important.