Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Does anybody NOT like their Mirena?

I'm about 90% sure I want to go the Mirena route for birth control. I need to make the appointment sometime soon, because DH is eventually going to veto my "never having sex again, never ever" birth control plan.

Of my IRL friends who have it, everyone seems to love their Mirena. Just wondering if anybody has any negative experiences to report before I take the plunge.

(Note that the copper IUD is not an option for me, because my periods were already horribly heavy and painful...I couldn't handle them getting worse.)
    Stacy
    Wife to K
    Mommy to A (5) and twins E & S (1.5)

The biggest mistake I made is the one that most of us make...I did not live in the moment enough. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less. - Anna Quindlen

I have had mine for 4.5 years and have an appointment next May to get mine removed and have a new one put in. I was told I would have pain/cramps at insertion and to take ibuprofen before hand. For me, the cramps lasted several months. I did some research and found I was not the only person who had that problem. I would get twinges of pain down there. I was this close to getting it removed but did stick it out. The cramps did subside and since then I haven't had any issues. I was able to successfully bf with it in and it did not affect my milk supply. After DD weaned my period came back but it is always very light (like pantiliner light).
    DS 10, 5th grade
    DD 8, 3rd grade

I hated mine for about six months. It was way more than cramping upon insertion and the pain lasted a couple of weeks and then there was spotting and I never knew when there'd be spotting, etc. I thought I was extra moody because of the Mirena (more likely 'cause I'd just had a baby!) but after a few months all of that went away and now it's great. It did take much longer than I expected though. And I was seriously thinking about removing it.
    Debbie

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I had one put in back in August. I had about 6 weeks of almost constant spotting and was really, really getting annoyed. But, it stopped about 2wks ago. My OB said to expect 3-6 mos of on/off spotting. So if you can get through that first month or two of totally annoying daily spotting, it does get better.

I haven't noticed any other side effects.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

almostmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

There are a number of posts on this if you search.

I'm one of the lone people who didn't like it, but stuck it out for 4.5 years. It is great birth control, that's for sure, and great not to get a period. But I had slight cramping for years, the majority of the time. And felt bloated from it. And recently I posted about a low sex drive, and people pointed out that if could be because of the Mirena (well, any hormonal birth control). So finally I had it removed about 3 weeks ago, and I do feel a difference in my libido and my bloatedness. That said, I'm not that psyched on using condoms, so will go back to some sort of regular birth control soon, but probably will try the paraguard. I know for most it leads to heavier periods, and I too used to have bad ones, but I don't think that's true for everyone. So I'm going to give it a try.

I think most people really love the Mirena, from what I've read. So I think it's definitely worth a try since it has so many positive perks and lasts for so long. Just wanted to add my experience since you asked!
    Liz

DS 11/03
    DD 12/05

ErinMC is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Not to scare you but here is a post from April where I mentioned what happened to me:
    http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin...ghlight=erinmc

Granted, EVERYONE I know IRL (besides me!) have had great experiences with their Mirena. But there *are* risks. I knew that going in but never really thought about them.
    Erin

DS1 2/04
    DS2 5/06
    DD 10/09

mariza is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I only lasted about 2 weeks with Mirena so take this for the isolated case that it is. It just hurt. Hurt on insertion, hurt nonstop until I had it removed. It just felt like I was being poked with needles from the inside. I switched to Nuva Ring and have been very happy with it.
    Monkey See (DD) 01/05
    Monkey Do (DS) 09/06

lil_acorn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

the friends that have it mostly love it
    I tried it but it did not work for us. I had it in for 1 month and had to have it removed because...um..my husband could feel it. Sorry TMI

almostmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We had that experience too, and they kept cutting it shorter and shorter (which at first made the situation worse!). When I just had it removed, the doc had a pretty hard time finding the strings!
    Liz

DS 11/03
    DD 12/05

I had mine for about 8 months aftern number 3 and then had it removed. I was actually thinking maybe I had PPD because I was so moody and snappy, super irritable and constantly felt like I was yelling at someone. I contacted my OB to find out about possible PPD and she thought I should get the Mirena out because she had lots of complaints like that. I had it out and within about a month I was back to my super chill, laid-back self. I also had spotting on/off the whole time, never knew when it was coming or how long it would last. Everyone has different experiences though, so you could always try it and then take it out if you don't like it. The insertion wasn't bad at all and taking it out wasn't bad either.
    Mama to 5 wild ones

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast