Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I havent had it, but I can tell you I am choosing not to get it because I've read too much research on uterine scarring etc as a result of IUDs and since I plan to have kids in the future I don't want to have another thing to worry about. My BFF also got it and while she's OK with it now she said the pain of getting it was shocking (and she is tri-athlete, toughest girl I know) and radiated down to her knees for a few days after insertion. She also had the same problem as others with the sting being too long etc.
    DS 1/10 "boo-boo"

Quote Originally Posted by almostmom View Post
    We had that experience too, and they kept cutting it shorter and shorter (which at first made the situation worse!). When I just had it removed, the doc had a pretty hard time finding the strings!
    We've had this problem since day 1 of the Mirena, and 3 years later we still have the same problem. My doc can't cut the strings any shorter. DS still complains that it hurts him at times.

All of these things may or may not be due to my Mirena, but I think they may be contributors: low sex drive (before getting pg I had a very healthy sex drive), moodiness, difficulty losing weight, and lower back pain.

I've been seriously considering removing the Mirena. I do LOVE not having a period though. Not sure what our next steps are.
    Christie
    mommy to DS 08/07
    Riding in a Frontier 85, Boulevard, and True Fit

cntrymoon2 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Don't have firsthand experience, but I'll tell you that my 10 month old niece was a case of Mirena failure.

m4nash is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I had one for about 2 years after my first DC. I was moody, exhausted and had no sex drive. I felt mildly depressed. Within a few weeks of having it removed, I felt so much better. I will never get one again or use any hormonal bc for that matter because of how it affects my libido. I still had my period regularly with mirena, but it was much lighter. My cramps were worse with mirena than without. I was nursing the entire time I had the mirena and it never effected that. I think mirena might have kept my af at bay longer. (AF returned at 10 months instead of 2-3 months with my other ebf babies.)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

FWIW, my periods were different after kids. You might find after this 2nd pg that things are dif't and the Paragard would be ok. Also, though I had heavier periods and some cramping, it all went away and things went back to my normal by month 3. I don't think you are doomed to worse periods forever with the copper one and the lack of hormones (and all the possible complications from those), it might be worth it. I personally like getting my pd every month just b/c I know all is humming along just right down there...and that I'm not pg.

Beth

BabyH is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I've had it for almost 6 months and I love it so far. Insertion just felt like a little pinch, but I did cramp for about 2 hours after. But after that, it's been great. I do make sure to check it often, but everything is a-ok. But as with all drugs, it does have side effects. Just talk to your doctor. I went over everything with mine before I settled, and he was very understanding about explaining everything to me. (And you know, make sure you aren't like, the first person he/she is doing the Mirena on...)

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I know 2 people who were fine with their Mirena after the initial annoying period of spotting (both for around 4 to 6 months) then about 1.5 to 2 years after having the Mirena inserted they started having really bad problems with mood swings and then anxiety etc. They both had their Mirena's removed and the anxiety and mood issues resolved quickly.

I'm late responding but I HATED mine. One week after insertion I started to experience crazy amounts of hair loss. My OB thought it was post partum hair loss but the timing was just too close to not link them together. I even saved bags of hair to show him, lol.

I also felt like my body was getting achey a lot and then one day I felt like I had a vertigo attack while sitting at the table. I am a very healthy, active person, so this was strange to me. Not to mention the fact that I could still feel the darn thing pinch me every so often. I guess it was the strings. I am totally not the hypochondriac type either.

Anyhow, I just didn't feel right and got it removed 4 months later. Within 1-2 weeks the hair loss completely stopped and I felt fully back to normal.

What really p*ssed me off was that my OB was initially so gung ho about it when I had it inserted, saying it's the next best thing to having your tubes tied. But when I went to have it removed, he conceded that he removes 1 in 10 of them. That's pretty high IMO.

However, everyone else I know who has it, absolutely loves it!
    Marcy

DD1 2003
    DD2 2005
    DD3 2009

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2