Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    ♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default abnormal blood test results (update post #12)

so i am about 17wks along and my OB just called me to tell me the 2nd part of my blood screening results came out abnormal and that i have elevated risk for Down's (instead of 1:400 based on my age, i have 1:64). she referred me to a high-risk OB so i could get a u/s and i managed to schedule a u/s today. they say depending on those results of the u/s i can decide to do an amnio right then and there. anyway, am kind of freaking out, not so much bc of the amnio itself, but bc the whole decision making ordeal. also, we'll have to schlep my 9month old along to this appointment which i imagine will be stressful in of itself (i would schedule it for the days/times our sitter comes, but my DH is going out of town early tomorrow mornign for the rest of the week, and i would rather have him there for this appt, plus i really don't want to have to wait an entire week till he gets back). Argh.

just wondering, if anyone's been through this process, how long this U/S takes? is it similar to the 20wk u/s? also, if i do get the amnio, how much do i have to rest/take it easy afterwards? i am just worried if i'll be ok to take care of my son on my own while my DH is gone. i do plan on having a few hours of help for the next few days.
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 11-01-2010 at 04:20 PM.

Oh honey, I'm so sorry. I know how hard and stressful this is. But this is so, so very typical with the AFP test, that I my OB advised against it with all her clients, because it has a very high false-positive rate. Very high. But she offered it and said it was my choice. I didn't have it done with any of my kids because I didn't need an inaccurate test stressing me out.
    There was a big discussion on this last month with another mama here (who's baby is fine). Let me dig it up for you. The blood test that she is referring to is the alpha-feto-protein test (AFP).
    http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin...d.php?t=373274

FWIW...and with regard to the the Nuchal fold/translucency test that you may hear about, 19 out of 20 babies that are diagnosed as probably having Down's, are fine.
    Last edited by daisymommy; 11-01-2010 at 12:02 PM.
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Sending some hugs your way. Here is Dream's post:
    http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin...d.php?t=373274

You really need to get someone to watch your son, and if you want the amnio have it done when you have scheduled help.

When I had the amnio I had to rest for the rest of the day.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

thanx for the replies. i did see that thread and that makes me feel a lot more hopeful that things will be ok. still, it's hard not to stress out about it, especially with this all happening at such a hectic time.

at this point i guess if i do decide to have the amnio i'll have to wait another week when my DH gets back so that i can have more help in watching DS...even with the sitter here for a few hrs in no way could a rest for an entire day...DS is pretty active during the day. plus i do not want to stress out about overexerting myself on top of the stress over waiting for results.

ack, i just can't wait for all this to be over!

Dream is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I just went through this last month. My first blood test results and the ultrasound was fine, they didn't detect anything but the 2nd blood test results were off.

On the day of my appt for Amnio they did a comprehensive ultrasound, took about 30 minutes or slightly more. The amnio wasn't bad at all. The wait time to see the doc was more than an hour but the amnio itself only took about 15 min and that's including prep time(cleaning the are etc.) It was like getting blood drawn. I had the procedure on a Friday so I took the rest of the day off, I pretty much bed rest the whole of Friday and Saturday I was up and about but didn't do anything heavy. The doc said I should just rest Friday but I just took it a step further as I was really scared of something happening. Its good if you can find someone to care for your DC while you're at the procedure. That way you can relax and focus better.

I received the results in 2 weeks or so and all was good. Good luck. Please feel free to ask me anything if you have questions.
    DD1 September 2008
    DD2 March 2011

thank you so much for your post Dream. i am just anxiously waiting now as in a few hours i will go get the level2 u/s done and from there figure out what to do next. at this point dh & i are not sure if we are going to do the amnio...dh is especially worried about the risks of miscarriage. but if we do decide to get it done though i will get it done when my dh is home so i don't have to worry about caring for my son and i can just rest.

thank u guys for your support, i will try to update later on after the u/s appt. was so glad i could schedule the u/s at least for today, i hate all the anxiety/waiting and uncertainty. now i understand why ppl skip this test all together.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My co-worker JUST went through this. Level II is just a regular sonogram where they look in more detail. Took probably 20 minutes. For her, everything turned out fine. But the sono alone doesn't give you a 100% answer, whereas the amnio will.

It depends on how badly you want to know for sure - for my co-worker the level II was enough. It's a very personal and difficult decision

Hoping your sono goes well and that you'll be able to enjoy the rest of your pregnancy. Big hugs going your way!!

kara97210 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Good luck today!

Sorry you are going through this, I know several people who have had a abnormal test result and their babies were fine.

I've had 2 amnios, not because of abnormal test results, but just because I'm a person who likes to know 100% and both times the anticipation was much, much worse than the actual amnio. The second time it was actually less painful than the blood draw I had earlier in the week. I know it's impossible, but try not to stress out too much.

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm another person who had abnormal test results and DD was fine. DD had the space in the neck they look for with the nuchal translucency test. She also had a space in her heart that they said was a soft marker for Downs. Needless to say we were freaked out. However, my results came back as a 1 in 400. We opted NOT to do the amnio. DH and I were at peace with whatever happened (we both have had family members who were mentally disabled (SIL and a 2 cousins of mine).

Anyway, They still saw what they saw in utero when DD was born. at 6 days old we were at the pediatric cardiologist. DD got a clean bill of health and she does not have Down's. We were told that the testing is so sensitive now that it picks up literally every little thing. B/c it does that, they have to check it out. We were told that many babies have soft markers and there is absolutely nothing wrong with them.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

So sorry you're going through this.

Both of my DC showed soft markers for Down's. We followed up with a pediatric cardiologist before they were born. They found no evidence of heart defects with either but couldn't give us the 100% ok without an amnio. We opted not to have amnios with either DC because like your husband I was worried about miscarriage risks. Neither of my DC was born with Down's.

I'll be thinking of you this afternoon.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast