Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smile attn to those experienced ones: please help this newbie choose!

i know there are a lot of threads about which carriers a newbie to babywearing should use, but i wanted experienced opinions about the ones i have narrowed it down to.
    so here are my requirements:
    verrry comfortable- my back is sensitive and my baby is big! he was 13 lbs at two months if that helps- he is now 3 mths and even bigger and wants to be held nonstop. (have a second hand baby bjorn- kills me after 10 minutes!)

long life span (in terms of baby and quality)- my son is now 3 mths but he will not be my last. i want more kids and i want to be able to use it from newborn until toddler (1 1/2-2). quality is important, too for same reason

would be best if:
    could be used by different sized users- i'm 5"2 and thin and my husband is 6 ft and big.
    we do not want to wrap so thats out.
    i was thinking about the baby ktan (but problem is with only one user and not sure how great on the back and for big babies)- but love how has multiple positions and like how can nurse in it and have baby so close to body.
    or something like the pikkolo, beco, lilliebaby, or ergo- seems great for long term and comfort.
    would love to get the ktan and one of the other ones but have a budget...
    dont know how to pick from those- seem so similar. if any other suggestions would take those too...

DH and I have a slightly bigger height difference (I'm a petite 5 feet, and DH 6'1" and thick), and we found the Ergo works well for us. I can wear the ergo comfortably, but since i have a small frame, the shoulder straps can be a bit bulky and slip off my shoulder at times. It's not too big of a deal if you only want to invest in one carrier that will work for the two of you.

If you possibly want to invest in another Carrier, i have tried on an olives and applesauce half-buckle (buckled waist, but mai tai shoulder straps) and it fit like a dream on my small frame. They sell full-buckles (traditional straps) online, but if you want a half buckle, you need to get on a customs list or buy one used off of thebabywearere.com.

HTH!

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I would recommend an Ergo Baby carrier. My husband and I can both use ours and we're 7 or 8 inches and many sizes apart! We used it with DD1 starting at 5 months and are getting ready to use it now with DD2. Really ergonomic for the back and can be worn in front (facing in) and on the back.

for Sandy Hook

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I personally have found that structured carriers like Ergo, Beco, Pikkolo, Angelpack are very similar and I recommend buying whichever you can get a good price on.

Try Frogmama and Attached to Baby, they have clearance sections.

Used carriers generally hold up very very well. There are a ton of used Ergos on craigslist here. If you look at a used Ergo, maybe avoid the demin-looking ones since they are the oldest model. But an Ergo that is just a couple of years old still has years of solid performance left in it.

Structured carriers that I would avoid if I were you...
    - anything that says "half-buckle" which offers less support (has advantages too, but not really what you're looking for)
    - any hip carrier, they're not as versatile
    - Patapum brand. Great carriers, well priced but they have a "baby" size and a "toddler" size.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

We have an Ergo and absolutely love it. I would highly recommend it. I have a very bad back (we had to switch DD out of her infant car seat and into a convertible early because my back couldn't take the car seat anymore) and the Ergo is extremely comfortable. It is easy to switch sizes. My husband is very slender (31" waist) and he can wear it comfortably and I have a...not even close to a 31" waist and can also wear it comfortably. It is a little expensive, but you can find them on Craig's List sometimes. Also, I think it is worth the price since you can use it for so long. We have used ours with DD since she was a new born (with the infant insert) and still use it now that DD is almost 7 months. I am starting to wear it on my back now as well, and find it great to have my front free.

A woven wrap would be perfect for you!

I would skip the k'tan. It's best for when baby's are small, and yours is already big. It is also sized, so you and your DH would not be able to share it.

See if there is a babywearing group near you, so that you can try on as many carriers as possible. Carriers are like bras...what feels perfect to one person, is not great on the next person.

You and your DH may not be able to wear the same buckle carrier, depending on how big he is. You would need to change the setting each time you switched. A non buckle carrier (mei tai or wrap) will give you greater freedom to get the right size each time you wear the carrier.

lowrioh is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Ditto to the praises of the Ergo. I don't like mine for newborns but for 3+ months and big babies they are great. The Becco Gemini is also supposed to be nice and it has the option of facing out.

If you are going to get the Ergo you might need to get the waist extender for your DH. I'm 5'11" and wear a size 12-14 and I have the regular waist band expanded most of the way. DH is 6'6" and a 40"waist and has to use the extender....and it is extended most of the way.
    DH has a very bad back (2 surgeries) and he doesn't have any problems with the Ergo. He wanted to try a Bjorn and he hated after the first 10 min.

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

At that age and wt, I would skip the stretchy wrap and go straight to a mei tai or ergo.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

swissair81 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have a Mei Tai and a Pikkolo. I had a Ergo, but I bought it when my dd2 was a newborn & sold it because I hated it. I know I should probably give it a chance with an older baby, but dd3 is still too little. So I'm waiting.

7pages is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I had the ergo and returned it. I am 5' 1" and my husband is 6'3". It worked for him, but the straps are made for wider shoulders than mine, they always felt like they were slipping off. I bought the Pikkolo and love it. Although I do miss the little pocket on the Ergo, and I had to buy the support belt for the Pikkolo when my baby got close to a year, so that adds to the price. (and the bulk of the carrier)
    I like the Pikkolo and so does my baby!
    HTH
    Lori
    Mommy of 5!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast