Default What should we try next? (BLW)

We are trying baby led weaning with dd, now 7 months old, and it is going well. I've been doing veggies and fruits cut into spear shapes and cooked until soft (or things that are already soft like banana). She caught on to picking them up and putting them in her mouth right away. It took her about three weeks to really start swallowing, but she is now.

What should we try next? More variations on the fruit and veggie theme? Toast? Some kind of baby puff thing?

Thanks!
    Catherine

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Fish and meat and other proteins (like beans) are a good next step. Ground meat that has been browned is super soft and easy for babies to pick up as is shredded chicken or a chicken leg she can suck/gnaw on. Fish flakes easily in the mouth and is very healthy for babies (make sure it's low mercury/low PCB fish).

Pancakes are good. Bread stuff. More fruits/veggies. Don't forget mixed dishes with spices - chili is one option that is great for BLW b/c they can pick out so many different items.
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

Everything Katigre said!

I also made a spaghetti bolognese early on, with big chunks of everything & put it over some spiral noodles. DD loved it.

Go ahead & give toast a try. My DD also liked rice cakes early on with hummus or avocado spread on them. This is the joy of BLW - there aren't really any rules, so try anything you like.
    Mom to DD - my thriving preemie - Jan 2009

goldenpig is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I didn't realize there was a name for this. DD only let me feed her purees from 6-7 months and after that she absolutely refused to let me spoon-feed her...it was finger foods only for her from 8 months on. This time with DS I am letting him have more finger foods right away...he is 7 months and loves puffs, Mum-mum crackers, cheerios, pancakes, banana, avocado, mini bagels, pasta and udon noodles. I need to get more ideas. And do you steam or microwave the slices of fruit/veggies? Is it too early for scrambled egg yolks and ground meat?
    Party of five!
    Double big sister
    Big brother
    Little brother

I've been steaming or sauteing, whichever I was doing anyway. (Nomicrowave, but that would be fine too.)

Thanks for the ideas!

Catherine

goldenpig is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I forgot to mention sliced olives...DD loved those. And nori squares.
    Party of five!
    Double big sister
    Big brother
    Little brother

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

string cheese
    cereal (DD2 is loving Special K right now)
    canned fruit (I get the kind in pear juice)

not really for self feeding...yogurt, cottage cheese, hummus
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.