Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I would make the sugar cookies you can personalize with the WS cookie cutters and print each child's name into the cookie.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ChunkyNicksChunkyMom View Post
    I would make the sugar cookies you can personalize with the WS cookie cutters and print each child's name into the cookie.
    Oh my GOODNESS GRACIOUS! I had never seen these cookie cutters. That is the coolest thing ever ever ever!

tiapam is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    I think you should send something that all the kids will eat. The teachers won't appreciate a snack that looks great but that the kids won't eat and then be hungry.

And I agree with others that kids don't appreciate all the extra work, that's more for the adults.

I would ask your DC what they want to take to preschool for snack. Do they have a favourite food? Does the preschool have a colour for the week or a letter? Last year in pre-K we tried to match the snack with the letter of the week. I had C and made cornbread muffins and took a cranberry/apple juice.
    This is very good advice. For DD's bday treat teacher preferred no cake or cupcakes. I brought in chocolate chip mini muffins from Costco, which are a favorite of DD's. We noticed that every last one was eaten, there was really no waste. And kids asked for more.
    -Pam

DD: 6 YO
    DS: 3 YO

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I'd also add to check with the teacher if they have any requirements. Morning snack was eaten outside and we could do something that was a little messier. Afternoon snack was inside on the rug and when I bought something for DS's birthday they didn't want anything messy as inside. And they don't want cupcakes with frosting or chips.

I would check with teachers, then check with DC and then decide on something that you know most kids will eat.
    Last edited by niccig; 11-01-2010 at 10:44 PM.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by HIU8 View Post
    I think I'm still stuck on the fact that parents have to send in the snack. DD's preschool absolutely does not allow that. They purchase all of the snacks and any other food the kids eat there during the day (except for lunch that I have to provide for DD). It's so very strict that even for bdays NOTHING can be made at home. Absolutely everything must be store bought/nut free etc...(it's a kosher and a food allergy thing).

However, DD's snack usually consists of grape tomatoes and hummos or breadsticks and dipping sauce (usually a spagetti sauce). They have done cheese it's but only occasionally. DD has also had bananas and pretzels or cut up apples with crackers etc... No muffins, no fancy anything. DD always comes home telling me how yummy the snacks were though.
    We take turns sending snacks. We've had allergies, but they were easy to work around (strawberries, for example). The kids enjoy helping to pass out their snack. One of 3 days, is baking day, and they bake their own snack instead.

My DD would not eat if the snack was grape tomatoes adn hummus. She'd just sit there and drink the water. I'm glad there is a decent variety so that some days she eats and others she doesn't . Crazy thing - she ate a banana muffin they made a couple weeks ago and now loves muffins. She would never even try them at home!
    Kris

DD's preschool permits only no-sugar apple sauce, Edy's whole-fruit bars, or fruit. Fruit must be brought in whole or commercially pre sliced. Water or Juicy Juice to drink. They provide pretzels and/or low-sugar cereal. The idea that you get to bring whatever you want is so foreign to me. I'm glad I don't have to dream up a new idea each time!

OP, I would worry that the rice would end up all over the floor. My two love rice, but they're pretty messy with it.
    Catherine

Mom to:
    DD#1 3/07
    DD#2 10/08

and "Bonus Mom" to:
    DSD
    DSS#1
    DSS #2

SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Haven't read the other responses so please pardon if these are duplicates. My 3 most popular have been:

1- Parfaits layered with Yoplait vanilla, Go Lean Crunch or broken-up Cracklin' Oat Bran, and fresh fruit...and a tiny dollop of whipped cream. I layer it in see-through plastic cups (ask that they are saved for me instead of tossed bc I use this size for frozen pupsicles in the summer) and send along spoons.

2- Homemade apple butter and Scooby Doo snack "bones" to scoop instead of spoons.

3- Mini Chocolate Pumpkin muffins. Not the healthiest but they are a hit (both kids and teachers) and the kids get hidden pumpkin. Super moist. Combine 1 box of chocolate cake mix (I like BC Triple Chocolate Fudge), 1 small can solid pack pumpkin, and 1 snack-size container of unsweetened applesauce (or 1/2 cup jarred). Scoop into mini muffin pans. The temps and cooking times vary from oven to oven. My oven seems to work best at 325 for 15-ish minutes, I think. I have the recipe posted elsewhere in the Lounge, too...just search bc someone found a different time/temp combo worked for them. I factor 2-3 per child. Also works well with spice cake mix but my kids are not fans. I do not send this in but these are super yummy with a tiny dollop of Cool Whip Free!

Have fun!!

ETA:

I recently found a recipe for Anzac cookies/biscuits. They look like an interesting variation of an oatmeal cookie from Australia/New Zealand. This could be a learning opp...send the cookies/biscuits into school with a little map of the world and point out AU and NZ and explain why the biscuits have such an interesting name.

This is the 1st recipe that I found, trying to find a cookie to use in my cookie form pans, other than a sugar dough: http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives...es-recipe.html Lots of interesting comments in reagrds to the "biscuit's" history and the use of golden syrup as being mandatory.

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/anzac-...i/Detail.aspx#

Variation that mentions a golden syrup substitute if you cannot find it: http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/re...0222140&adsqs=
    Last edited by SASM; 11-01-2010 at 11:05 PM.
    Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jacksmommy2b View Post
    LoL.

I'll admit I have a really skewed pov, J has an adventurous palate and will eat just about anything. His latest favorite is sushi and I thought using fruit might make it exciting yet approachable.
    I love sushi, and I love fruit, but this sounds pretty unappealing to me.

I like the cookies with names idea. Cute, the kids will think it's cool, and they will actually eat it. Good luck.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Is E's school the only one that won't accept anything not store bought and still sealed? Man, am I jeaous!
    Tina, mommy to:
    DS1 "D" 12-98
    DS2 "E" 12-05
    DD "G" 6-07

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by SASM View Post
    I recently found a recipe for Anzac cookies/biscuits. They look like an interesting variation of an oatmeal cookie from Australia/New Zealand. This could be a learning opp...send the cookies/biscuits into school with a little map of the world and point out AU and NZ and explain why the biscuits have such an interesting name.

This is the 1st recipe that I found, trying to find a cookie to use in my cookie form pans, other than a sugar dough: http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives...es-recipe.html Lots of interesting comments in reagrds to the "biscuit's" history and the use of golden syrup as being mandatory.

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/anzac-...i/Detail.aspx#

Variation that mentions a golden syrup substitute if you cannot find it: http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/re...0222140&adsqs=
    I'm Aussie and I make these for DS's class for Australia Day. All the kids have liked them.

I do think Golden Syrup is required - I've found it at the grocery store and at Cost Plus. It's where you would find maple syrup, corn syrup. The dough is not really a dough like it is for chocolate chip cookies. It's very dry and you need to clump it together to get it to stick together. I don't like mine too crisp, so I bake them for about 12-14 mins at 350. The All Recipes say 18-20, way too long. You want them to be a little chewy and a little crunchy. I've never put orange zest or orange blossom water in mine - I use a similar recipe that's published by the Australian War Memorial minus the orange additions.

Very yummy, easy to make and I'm craving some now with a cuppa tea!
    Last edited by niccig; 11-01-2010 at 11:20 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast