JamiMac is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Frye boot break in period

I just got my new Frye harness boots last night. I bought them from Amazon and got the tan color. I LOVE the way they look! The only issue is they aren't that comfortable right now. The right one is extremely hard to get on. I have high insteps, so this is not all that surprising. The left one feels a little narrow in the toe area. The heels in the footbed are a little hard in both. I keep seeing reviews where everyone raves about how comfortable they are. Do they loosen up a lot? I love the quality, but I thought they might be a bit more comfy from the start. Also, if I've worn them for a few hours today will Amazon even take them back if they don't loosen?
    DD 2001
    DD 2004
    DS 2007

I don't have the Harness boots, but I was wearing my Frye Veronicas today. I am sad to say they are NOT comfortable. I am glad I got them on sale, but they were still $$ for boots that hurt! I had read all the reviews too, that they were very comfortable, but unfortunately that is not my experience. And they are so hard to get on!!! I have had them over a year, and worn them a bunch of times, but I think today was the last for a long time.

Hope you have better luck than I did.

peanut520 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

hmm... the break in period for my harness boots was relatively quick, but my engineer boot i just got were killing my feet. i'm use to breaking boots after years of riding horses and the boots that go with, and after about 10 days i gave up and returned them to bloomies. luckily they had one last pair in my size and it was night and day. i love my new pair. i am not sure about amazon's policy on returning worn items.

Where the Army sends us...today it's Washington

Took me about a week of wearing my harness 12R's everyday to get them to be comfy. And always use the loops to pull the boot up your leg. Shoving your foot down the shaft will only cause the leather to bunch at the ankle.
    -Lauren

DS 3/08
    DD 3/09

JamiMac is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks for the replies and the tip on using the rings. Does it get easier to slip them on? My left on goes on fine but my right one I have to work my foot into so much that I think the top of my foot is bruising.
    DD 2001
    DD 2004
    DS 2007

Where the Army sends us...today it's Washington

It will get a little easier, but because the leather is real, it's bound to be stiffer than fake. One of my feet are harder to get in than the other, too. And I totally remember the top of my feet bruising for a few days from the stiffness. Give it time
    -Lauren

DS 3/08
    DD 3/09

I have a few pair of Frye's, and all had some break-in

Veronica slouch - very hard to get on initially, and tight in the calf (I have short legs and athletic legs), but always very comfy in the foot area

Engineers - took about 12 or 15 wearings for them to mold to my ankle.

Short Campus - these I got used, and they are still breaking in to my ankle after about 3 wearings.

I think its worth the effort, and I've used moleskin at times during the process.

(and to Kathy - if your Veronicas are any color other than black, and a 7.5, pm me, I will buy them)
    Tarah
    Mama to the Forrest Creature 3/04 and Baby Ber 4/07
    "All true wealth is biological" Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan

Quote Originally Posted by tarahsolazy View Post

(and to Kathy - if your Veronicas are any color other than black, and a 7.5, pm me, I will buy them)
    Well, they are the gray color, but size 9. If you think you could make them work just let me know (haha).