Default Backpack carrier for tall 1 y.o.

Hi there,

I am looking for a sturdy backpack carrier for hiking with our son. He has some health issues, which include low tone, which means it is very difficult for him to hold his body up. His therapists believe that riding in a backpack carrier will help him with head control and strengthening his trunk.

So we are looking for the best backpack carrier for a thin 32-inch guy who shows no sign of slowing down in height.

Thanks for any help.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

DS2 - very tall and thin also wobbly (no diagnosis) enjoys the Kelty DH takes him in periodically.

I know that olives and applesauce has an 18" (height of fabric that supports baby) toddler backpack carrier that probably would be perfect. They don't sell them new online (only the 16" is sold new at online retailers). You can buy a used one on the babywearer.com forums or get on the olives and applesauce customs list to have Caren make you a custom carrier (it is much faster to get a used one--just put it in the washer and it is as good as new!)

HTH!

The Beco and Boba have 16" high bodies and should work well. If you are worried about posture I might get the Boba since they have the unique footstraps. These straps help keep a toddlers knees up so they can maintain a safe and comfortable position in the carrier.

At 1 I am not sure he will need the straps but he can use them as he gets bigger.

Also check on thebabywearer.com Special Needs forum.

Default Thanks!

I will definitely check out thebabywearer. That is awesome that they have a special needs board!

I will also check out the boba and the applesauce.

Thanks for all the ideas.