Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Your Thanksgiving menu...have we done this yet?

I need some ideas! We are hosting Thanksgiving for 23 people and
    most of these people are out-of-towners who are staying with us. So they
    obviously cannot bring a dish.

What do you have on your Thanksgiving meal menu??

Thanks so much!!
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

weech is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm super boring and I make the same Thanksgiving dinner my mom always made... I love it. We have:

Turkey
    Whipped potatoes
    Sliced sweet potatoes (in a brown sugar/butter/OJ sauce)
    Green beans (seasoned with onion powder, season all)
    Collard greens (Glory brand, from a can)
    My mom's stuffing

I can't decide what to do about dessert. I'm trying to do everything a little bit lighter this year (so we don't all die of a heart attack). My FIL always makes pumpkin and pecan pie, but not sure what I should make.
    Rachel
    Momma to my sweet little bubba
    04/2010

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm not positive exactly what I'm doing, because this is my first year getting to host. Yes! I love Thanksgiving, and I've been waiting for this since I registered for a turkey platter at W-S before we got married. My first inclination was to do what my mom does, because my parents will like that, but I've seen some great recipes in the last few weeks, so I may change a few things up.

I'm going to be watching this thread, and when I have a better idea of exactly what I'm doing, I'll post.
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have to do this, as we're hosting too.

A couple of years ago I got amazing recipes from here for a Sausage Stuffing (mouth watering just thinking about it) and for Roasted Carrots and Parsnips.

Along with a couple of the usual pies, I might do a Tres Leches cake for dessert. I did one for Christmas last year and it was phenomenal. (More mouth watering...)

I must dig up these recipes.
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

<Weird double post removed!>
    Last edited by Twoboos; 11-04-2010 at 12:38 PM.

weech is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Twoboos View Post
    Along with a couple of the usual pies, I might do a Tres Leches cake for dessert. I did one for Christmas last year and it was phenomenal. (More mouth watering...)

I must dig up these recipes.
    I'm dying for the Tres Leches recipe!
    Rachel
    Momma to my sweet little bubba
    04/2010

Quote Originally Posted by weech View Post
    I'm dying for the Tres Leches recipe!
    Found it! When is Egg Nog back on the shelves?? I think Pioneer Woman has a non-egg nog version, too.

Holiday Tres Leches Cake

Eggnog is one of those mega-nostalgic drinks - it always brings back holiday memories for me and all those friends that have their secret eggnog recipes and serving tips. * Another way to use eggnog is in a Tres Leches cake.* It gives the cake a subtle eggnog flavor - not at all overpowering.* Tres leches means "three milks" and refers to the traditional blends of milk, cream, and condensed milk that are used to saturate this cake,making it ultra moist without being soggy.* The holiday version of this cake uses eggnog and rum, imbibing the cake with delicious festive flavor.*

1 Box Vanilla Cake & Baking Mix
    3 cups eggnog
    1 Tbsp rum (such as Captain Morgan's Original Spiced Rum)

Whipped Cream Topping:
    1 cup heavy cream
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1 tsp sugar
    Cinnamon or nutmeg, optional

1)***Bake cake according to instructions.* I used a 9 x 13" pan.* Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick and seeing when it comes out clean.
    2)*** Cool cake completely.* For a formal presentation, flip cake onto a platter.* I left it in the pan.
    3)*** Using a wooden skewer or chopstick, pierce 30-40 holes into cake.
    4)*** Mix egg nog with rum, and pour this mixture slowly over the top of the cake, allowing it to soak in through the holes.
    5)*** Refrigerate for 2 hours, allowing cake to absorb the liquid. Spoon liquid over cake if necessary.
    6)*** Whip heavy cream until soft peaks form.* Add vanilla and sugar, mixing until dissolved.* Spread evenly on cake.
    7)*** Dust with ground cinnamon or nutmeg or top with a Dark Chocolate Star and berries as shown.

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

It looks as though we'll be going to Mrs. Knott's Chicken Restaurant at Knott's Berry Farm on Thanksgiving. Knott's does a military special every November, and it ends Thanksgiving Day. As DH returns from deployment late Tuesday night, and he likely will have to report on Wednesday, Thursday (Thanksgiving) is the only day we can go.

DH usually does all the cooking for the holidays anyway, but DS is a little sad about not having a "traditional" Thanksgiving meal this year. But I think he'll get over it. He loves Knott's Berry Farm.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Our Thanksgiving Menu is

~Turkey (usually kosher) stuffed and roasted in the oven
    *last year BIL decided to try frying a turkey so we had a fried turkey too
    ~Stuffing is made from the Mrs. Cubbisons boxed "Dressing" (with added carrot/celery/onion and chicken broth and butter) these little stuffing bags make it so easy http://www.amazon.com/Harold-838-Tur.../dp/B0000CFBL0
    ~Mashed potatoes
    ~Roasted potatoes (sometimes some roasted carrots too)
    ~Sweet potatoes (with the marshmallows on top)
    ~Candied yams
    ~fresh cranberry sauce
    ~green beans (simply steamed with a little butter)
    ~corn
    ~Celery root salad
    ~marinated mushrooms

dessert is usually

~pumpkin pie
    ~pecan pie
    ~apple pie
    ~chocolate chunk bread pudding

while the turkey is cooking we usually have out for snacking

Honeybaked Ham and french rolls
    Cheese and crackers

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

It looks like we will be hosting again this Thanksgiving.

So far my tentative menu is:

Turkey (I am a firm believer of the brining method)

Mashed Potatoes

Sweet Potatoes

Sauteed green beans, I don't do that green bean casserole, it's gross.

Cranberry Sauce- I am going to try this, b/c it looks yummy and super easy, just saw it on my facebook today... http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2...granate-sauce/

I may also make some broccoli salad, I like this recipe, but often substitute yogurt for part of the mayo to make it less fattening, I'm not sure if DH's family will like it or not, but my side of the family loves it...
    http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/alyson...-2/Detail.aspx

We are going to ask mil to bring korean ribs and chap chae noodles (she hardly ever hosts, so I don't feel bad asking her to bring something, esp since bil/sil and their kids will be staying with us and bil is already complaining that he doesn't want turkey, so we will blame it on bil and tell mil her poor adult son will starve if she doesn't bring her special food for him)

For dessert, instead of traditional pumpkin pie, I am going to make this, someone made it for moms night out spa night last month and it was soooo good, everyone's eyes lit up as soon as they tried it, lol...

Pumpkin cake Dessert

4 eggs well beaten
    2 C pumpkin
    1 1/2 C sugar
    1/4 t salt
    ...1 t ginger
    1 t cinnamon
    1/2 t cloves
    1 yellow cake mix
    1/2 c butter, melted
    1 c pecans

Mix eggs, pumpkin, sugar, and all spices together. Pour in 13 X 9 pan. Sprinkle dry cake mix on top. Drizzle melted butter and spread chopped nuts. Cover loosly with foil for 40 min at 325. Remove foil and cook 40 more min. total time 1 hr 20 min. Top with whipping cream.

I used 2 1/2 t of pumpkin spice instead of the 3 separate spices. 1/2 c butter was not enough. Use 3/4 to 1 cup. Make sure dry mix is covered with butter.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast