Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    alirebco is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Brittone - wow, thanks for sharing your experiences! I really wish I would have done an in person hypnobirthing type class when I was pregnant the first time around since I had way more time but I just can't manage it right now. My sister did suggest maybe just having one or two sessions with a hypnotherapist who has experience in it. I have the name of a doula who is certified in hypnobabies who might be able to come to my house for a session or two.

I have all the stuff loaded onto my ipod and am trying to stick to the schedule of listening to the hypnosis tracks during my son's naptime and then the affirmations at night before bed. I do suffer from pregnancy insomnia and I have heard it will help with this which would be wonderful. I barely slept my first pregnancy and I was a zombie. And this one has been even worse since my son is so active and in the difficult stage.
    A, mom to Ethan age 5.5 and L age 2

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by alirebco View Post
    Brittone - wow, thanks for sharing your experiences! I really wish I would have done an in person hypnobirthing type class when I was pregnant the first time around since I had way more time but I just can't manage it right now. My sister did suggest maybe just having one or two sessions with a hypnotherapist who has experience in it. I have the name of a doula who is certified in hypnobabies who might be able to come to my house for a session or two.

I have all the stuff loaded onto my ipod and am trying to stick to the schedule of listening to the hypnosis tracks during my son's naptime and then the affirmations at night before bed. I do suffer from pregnancy insomnia and I have heard it will help with this which would be wonderful. I barely slept my first pregnancy and I was a zombie. And this one has been even worse since my son is so active and in the difficult stage.
    I'd totally call the doula and do a session or two if you can. I think it will just help you feel more confident. I do think you can do a self study and get a lot out of it as long as you are disciplined and practice daily or as close to it as you can. And I hope it gives you some insomnia relief! In the past when I've had insomnia and wasn't pregnant, I've been known to bust out my old hypnosis tracks in a pinch! I think they even have an extra track you can download on their site for insomnia?

They also used to have some forums, maybe on a yahoo group or on their website? If you have any questions that might help.

I spent all of my Hypnobirthing class thinking...this is relaxing but I'm skeptical it will work, but it really was awesome for me.

If you have any questions, let me know. Mothering.com has a lot of Hypnobabies users over there too if you need extra support.

Best of luck!
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

firstbaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I had such an awesome birth experience with my second after following the self study HypnoBabies course. I usually did the tracks at night around the time my first was going to bed. I did not have DH do any of the reading, scripting, etc, but loaded everything onto my Ipod. When we got to the hospital, one of the nurses asked if I was sure I was in labor. They checked me and I was at 8+ and soon was ready to push. I listened to the ipod almost the whole time and it helped keep me in the hypnobabies groove. After I delivered DS, word was going around that I had a hypnotist in the room with us while I was in labor which was really funny to me. My mom worked at the hosptial where we delivered and she got all kinds of questions about it.

Now that I'm expecting again, we're going the birth center route this time and I'm definitely using the HypnoBabies stuff again. Very excited!

I used the Hypnobirthing (Mongan method) CDs and book to help with my anxiety about labor and delivery, even though I wasn't planning on an unmedicated birth. I think the books and CDs were extremely effective for this - teaching me to relax, to fill my mind with positive thoughts, to focus on the baby.

I really credit hypnosis for my perfect, easy delivery. There was no stalling, no pitocin, no episiotomy...I got to the hospital at 4cm in no pain (my water had broken and we had to do penicillin for GBS because we hadn't done the test yet), got my epidural at 5cm, moved swiftly through transition, pushed for 40 minutes and was done. It was fantastic. I recovered very swiftly and breastfeeding went smoothly, etc.

The mind has tremendous power to ensure that the body does what it's supposed to do.
    Beaming mom to DS born 10/20/2010.
    The Force is strong with this one.

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I used Hypnobabies for a natural childbirth almost two years ago and highly recomment it. It helped me sleep well throughout my pregnancy and stay focused during labor - people who watched me labor commented on how relaxed and in tune I was with my body. It didn't make labor painless or lessen the intensity of the contractions, but I never felt out of control or helpless even during transition.

I also found that the hypnobabies tracks were so helpful for my anxiety that I would use them on plane flights (total nervous flier here!) and for pain management/relaxation when I had a bad headache and just wanted to sleep.
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

I used hypnosis for childbirth for both of my children and HIGHLY recommend it-- like brittone2, did a Mongon Method class for the first, but did the Hypnobabies home study for the second. I did hospital births for both, and had a doula for both which I think was key in allowing me to avoid an epi.

I personally liked the Morgon method a bit better, as I felt that Hypnobabies had almost too many 'tools' to utilize, but hey, it allowed me to get thru a pitocin induction w/o an epi, so I'm a HUGE fan.

With both of them, I feel that the key is just practicing and becoming familiar and comfortable with them. You'll get to the point where when you hear the voice/cues you can instantly relax and not tense up.

I wasn't "hypnotized" (as in the stage-show kind of manner) for either one...I liken it to kind of being 'out of it' during contractions, kind of the way that you're out of it when you have the flu and you're kind of in and out sleep. I won't kid you and say that it was pain free, but it provided the coping and managing techniques to allow me to stay in control which is the important thing.

and finally DOULA DOULA DOULA. Neither of mine were specifically hypnodoulas, but both had assisted with hypnobirths and provided much needed massages, hands to grip, and spoonfulls of energy boosting honey when I needed it most!

As for listening during birth, I HIGHLY recommend one of the ipod shuffles that you can just clip on your clothing. (think its the previous generation, without the touchscreen)

Good luck and I'll be happy to help answer any other questions!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2