sste is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Expecting 411: Therapist for Birth Trauma

Although most pregnancies go exceedingly well, based on my recent delivery of DC #2, I def. think there should be a page or box or some sort on When Things Don't Go According to Plan.

What I discovered after my own non-catastrophic but traumatic delivery is that there are therapists who specialize in traumatic birth/birth loss/pregnancy loss/infertility. My hospital was fairly enlightened and included this in my discharge planning with a little prompting from me. A good therapist may be the most important part of your recovery - - I am working with someone now who I really like and it has been incredibly helpful. And notably, they not only deal with birth loss and major emergencies, I think most would also be very good people to talk with if you found a non-emergency c-section very upsetting (I did with #1) or had a bad/disrespectful delivery experience.

Someone looking for one should ask their OB, ask their friends, talk to their insurer (often these therapists will list infertility as a specialty but if they do infertility they often also deal with birth trauma), and also google using terms like "therapist infertility" and "health psychologist birth reproduction" etc.

HTH
    ds 2007
    dd 2010
    baby dd 2014

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Agreed. I had a crash c-section with DS2 (birth did NOT go according to plan AT ALL) and am starting to work through it with a therapist now. There needs to be more awareness of this.
    ~ deb
    DS1 Dec 2003
    DS2 Sept 2009

deleted
    Last edited by momtobeoverseas; 02-13-2011 at 03:59 PM.

I think sste is right, as well. I went through a horrible experience with DS1, and really needed to know this information.

It took me years to work through the trauma by myself; I really should have talked with someone.
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew