Default Advice for first time plane travel?

I'm thinking of flying by myself, with DS, to visit my dad in Florida this coming winter. I've never flown with him before, so I've got lots of questions that I feel like I need to get figured out before I can envision how we're going to do this. So if you seasoned travellers have any tips, I'd appreciate it!

DS will be nearly 3 1/2 by the time of the trip and I'm assuming he'll be old/big enough for something like a CARES harness. Is that the way to go then?

We'll need a carseat to use once we're down there. I've read that it's better to gate check your seat than to check it with your baggage, and that it's best to purchase a bag for it to protect against damage. I have no idea how much carseat bags cost, but considering fun, and totally inflated, Canadian prices, might it be cheaper to have my dad buy a carseat (like a Scenera) in the US for DS' use? DS will be FFing by then. [I'm not sure if the car we use will be a rental, or if my dad will drive his own car.]

Otherwise, we have available: MA, RN XTSL, and TF. Which would be better to gate-check and for travelling? Can we even use a Canadian carseat legally in a US car? Should I go with ease of installation or weight (of the carseat), or both? We have a Mac Quest as a travel stroller. I'm assuming I need a bag for that too? What kind would best protect it? DS is a pretty good walker now but I think we'll need a stroller when we're in Fla., and I guess I'd need it to push the carseat around the airport if we bring on of our own?

TIA if you can help me with the logistics of this!
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I've travelled alone with DS several times since he was 6 months, several times internationally, so I hope my experience helps.

Honestly, I've checked our car seat as baggage, first because I hate the idea of carrying it around the airport if I'm not using it on the plane (long story short some international airlines don't allow car seats for kids 2 and older, but that won't be an issue for you), second you can only gate check ONE item free of charge, either car seat or stroller. If you're going to take it to the gate, I'd install it on the plane. I won't say it's easy to juggle car seat, carry ons and kid, though, but it's doable, especially if there's pre-boarding.

I'd choose the lightest seat if you plan to gate check it or install it on the plane. I got a car seat bag at BRU, I don't remember how much it was, it's not padded or has wheels, I know some people just use clear plastic bags.

I've travelled with my Blvd and it's super HEAVY and not the easiest to install on a plane, I imagine the MA is similar. I love it when I travel to see my parents and don't have to bring a car seat because they have one, so buying a cheap one in FL could be a great idea.

Even if your DS isn't much of a stroller rider you NEED it for the airport: to contain him if necessary (while you put everything through security, while you buy snacks, if your flight is delayed and he wants to rest, if your gate is far, etc), and even if he walks it makes for a great baggage cart . Even when DS was a baby and I wore him the umbrella stroller carried diaper bag, coats, etc. The Quest is a great travel stroller. You don't strictly need a bag for it, but it may get a little dirty if not.

Arrive early so you have plenty of time to go through security calmly, some airports have family lines for security, so you don't get the impatient business traveler who gives you looks because you're "slow", plus the agents know you're traveling with some exception items and sometimes even help moms with folding the stroller and such (strollers have to go through the x ray machine unless they don't fit and that case they hand check them)

Bring snacks that are not too messy for the plane, and some activities toys to keep him entertained, last time I brought a few DVD's for him to watch on my laptop if the toys and coloring books weren't enough. Still on some flight I've had to spend a while walking up and down the aisle with him because he couldn't sit still, but he was much younger.

I usually try to get flights around his nap time, but it doesn't always work because the excitement and all mess up his schedule (he may either fall asleep before the flight, or right as we land). But he has taken some amazingly long naps on a plane a few times, I just never know in advance if it will happen.

Well, I think that's about it. Relax, enjoy your trip, it's not as hard as you think. I remember I was a nervous reck before my first flight alone with him, and it was way easier than I thought. Now I don't give it a second thought.

GL!
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

just a few quick things..

i have a radian xtsl and would never travel with it...waaay too heavy. we have a scenera we use for travel. if u can get your dad to get a seat like the scenera or whatever so you don't have to deal with it on the plane etc, that would probably be the easiest thing by far. we have the JLChildress car seat backpack and while it's nice, it's HUGE and would be a pain to walk around in an airport, especially if u were by yourself.

as for umbrella stoller bags for gate check..we have the red JL Childress one and it does the trick. i think it's like $13 or something.

and i agree that strollers are great for airports bc they help to carry everything (purse, diaper bag, etc). even when my ds was small and i would wear him thru security, i still had a stroller, made it easy to carry stuff.

Thanks!

I didn't know that you could only gate check one bag. That's very useful to know. I was thinking that if we bring one of our carseats that the RN would definitely be out. Even though it folds and has those odd straps for carrying on your back, that thing is heavy! Between the MA and the TF I honestly don't know which one would be easier to carry. The MA is heavy but the TF is super wide and unwieldy. The TF is actually the one I have the most experience carrying as it's our backup (for other kid) and granny carseat so I've lugged it in and out of our house and hers lots (which includes lots of stairs).

Hard choice! I think I will price out the Scenera in the US and think some more. I worry about pushing the carseat in the stroller and keeping hold of DS at the same time. And I think he's too heavy for me to Beco for long periods even though he's still under the weight limits - I'm just not that strong. It sounds like my best options are either to baggage check one of our carseats, or to get my dad to buy one down there, and then have the stroller for bags, or a tired DS.

For those of you with older kids, at what point did you make the switch from carseat to harness on planes? Is this feasible at 3 1/2, or should I think more about taking one of our seats on the plane instead? DS weighs about 34 lbs and is very tall for his age. I don't anticipate any tantrums from him about getting into one, he's very carseat and stroller strap compliant.
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Are you flying out of Mtl or ??? (Detroit??). We have gate checked 2 items per child (so FOUR total) flying from YVR to Maui (WestJet) and two items (1 per child, though we weren't told there was any restriction) when flying YVR to LAX and SeaTac to Orange County (both of those via Alaska).

I'm not a fan AT ALL of the CARES harness. Physics is different in a plane and I'm a-OK with my girls using a lap belt. If you need a seat at your destination (I'd probably just buy a Scenera online and have it shipped to your dad), then just gate check it.

Yes, you can use a Canadian seat in the US as a tourist. But, like I said, for $35US, I'd just buy a US Scenera and have it shipped to your dad.

I would buy the red JL Childress Gate Check stroller bag (and the carseat bag if you end up taking one of your own). Or use a clear garbage bag. WestJet provides them. If you are flying Air Communist, I wouldn't count on them giving you anything except horrible service....
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

We'd be flying out of Mtl. and meeting my dad down there. He rents a place for a month so he'd probably already have been there for a bit. Not sure which carrier we'd use, but I'll try to avoid Air Communist, LOL! I've never flown West Jet but after my last AC experience I'd jump through quite a few hoops to avoid them.

Is the gate check bag number different in Canada than in the US? Or is the difference in the carrier?
    DS, Summer '07

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

For our last trip I didn't bring a seat for DD. She was about 3.5. She just sat in the lap belt on the plane and we borrowed a seat at our destination (I knew exactly what kind it was, that is wasn't expired, etc.).
    I think in your situation, I would bring the quest and get a JL Childress bag (they fold up super small) for it to be gatechecked.
    I would then just use a seat at your dad's. Have a cheap one shipped like Melissa suggested, or just tell him exactly what to get. And then on the way home I would just hang it off the stroller through the airport, and then install it on the plane (or check it).
    DD
    DS

I hadn't thought about what to do with a seat after our trip - good point, Elektra! My dad used to drive but I think he's been flying down there lately so I doubt he'd want to take a kid's carseat back home with him on the plane - I'd just assumed I'd leave the seat with him. I don't really know anyone down there with a toddler/baby to give it to. Might as well bring the thing back here.
    DS, Summer '07

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

You can't legally use a US car seat in Canada. I'd just leave it with your dad.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cosco-Scen...antee/13004563

If you are willing FF only and want it to last a bit longer, go with the Chase
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Evenflo-Ch...-Code/10929158
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Hmmm, very good points, Melissa. Forgot about the whole can't-use-US-seats-in-Canada. I'm so glad I posted here; there are too many variables for me to deal with on my own. I have some cousins with not many resources in MI who might really appreciate a free seat. I guess my dad could check it as baggage as well as I could. Or he could leave it with my uncle (he lives down there) in case we return. Though that might not happen if I finally get myself a non-contract position (that's why I'm considering the trip now)!

It's almost a given that DS will FF by the time of our proposed trip. He's only got 2.5" or so above his head in the RN now, so his RFing days are going to be over soon Never thought about getting a FF only seat. Good to have a cost-effective suggestion, I know absolutely nothing about them.

ETA: just clicked on the Scenera link...I didn't realize it only FF to 40 lbs. A FF-only seat might be a much better option for us in terms of possibility using it again. DS is 34 lbs now.
    Last edited by MontrealMum; 11-10-2010 at 01:55 AM.
    DS, Summer '07