Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Cleaning painted baseboards/doors?

I've been motivated to deep clean lately and thought I was doing well. But then I looked at my bathroom today and the door and white beadboard baseboards were so dirty! What do you use to clean them?

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

At my old house I did all of our baseboards before our house went on the market w/ the Mr. Clean magic eraser. Test first though to see how it affects color/sheen for your paint.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

Thanks! I was thinking of doing the Magic Eraser as my first deep-clean but I have been wondering about weekly upkeep on them and on my kitchen cabinets too. I'm thinking soap and water might be OK on the painted surface on a weekly basis?

My kitchen cabinets are another issue altogether. They are wood (not painted). They have grease with dust on them. I've tried tried wiping with soap and water but they are still sticky...

Try Murphy's Oil Soap for the cabinets. I think it works well on cutting the grease.

m448 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Our all purpose cleaning cloths are those microfiber car wash ones so I wet one with water and lightly scrub/wipe. Works everytime. Those things are amazing.
    Herding my flock of 4 kids, all 12 and under.

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

You may very well need the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser for this round. But once it's done, if you use a swiffer duster every week, that should be enough. If there are scuffs, you can use the microfiber rag and water to get them off.

I swiffer ours MAYBE once a month, and it's enough to keep our white baseboards clean. But we only have one kid, and we're all gone a lot.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Just a rag and a bit of diluted castile soap.

Beth

gamma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Microfiber cloth and windex. Also works wonders on my white cabinets.

SammyeGail is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I like good old fashioned liquid dish detergent in hot water with an old cloth. (I put in in a bowl and carry it around), sometimes a dry cloth to wipe off. Our baseboards have a detailed top that loved dust. I need more microfiber clothes!

A magic eraser for more stubborn marks/scuffs is an awesome recommendation! Glad I saw this thread, I would have never thought of it!
    Samantha
    Twin Boys - 11/20/05
    N. and J. - My heart and hands are full!

The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places. Hemingway

bigsis is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gamma View Post
    Microfiber cloth and windex. Also works wonders on my white cabinets.
    I do this but with old socks. Does the microfiber cloth make that big of a difference?

When I start doing this with old socks on my hand & arm, the kids love to pitch in

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast