Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    KBecks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Vacuums: did not like Miele canister, now what?

I need to return a Miele red titan canister to the vac store, I wanted to love it but it's not the right vacuum for me.

We have mostly carpet. I loved the Miele the best in the kitchen, but it felt too hard to push on the carpet and the head of the vac is small and I am not used to operating canisters.

So, I am thinking a lightweight, powerful upright for my carpet. Maybe a stick vac for my kitchen and bath -- that would be wonderful, I hate sweeping.

I did not love the Miele upright but that is because I thought the canisters were better, but... I don't like a canister... so maybe a Miele upright would be OK, but... it seemed heavy and a little unwieldy.

Anyway. I have to take this canister back to the store and need to decide pretty fast if I am just going to return it or get something else. I do not want to be a problem customer who test drives a bunch of vacs....

I was looking at an Oreck at target and it was very lightweight. I kind of like bags and don't like the idea of bagless so much.

Thanks for any advice! I know you all know your household appliances.... super shoppers!
    Karen, mom to three beautiful boys, 10/2004, 7/2006 and 10/2008!
    trying to spend less time online, doh!

*I regret choosing circumcision for my sons.*
    Our new arrival is NOT circed.

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

You could look at the next model up Miele. I can't tell you the name, b/c the names are different in the US than Canada -- we just got our Miele last weekend and all the different models made my head spin!

We really love our new Miele. The powerhead on ours is much larger than the next model down and feels like it is almost self-propelled. Super easy to push on carpet. Much much easier than the POS Kenmore canister it replaced....

We also looked at the Dyson. It was OK, a LOT noisier than the Miele. I have also heard good things about the new Electrolux canisters.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

WatchingThemGrow is online now Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Yeah, I was going to suggest trying a different turbo brush or whatever they are. Did you try Oreck? I liked MIL's Oreck on our rugs, but I didn't like it for hardwoods.

codex57 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I dunno, I think DS can suck harder than an Oreck.

I'd just go with a Dyson then. Try and get the newer models. The DC14 and DC07 weren't fully modified for US carpets so they don't work as well as the newer models.

wimama is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray View Post
    You could look at the next model up Miele. I can't tell you the name, b/c the names are different in the US than Canada -- we just got our Miele last weekend and all the different models made my head spin!

We really love our new Miele. The powerhead on ours is much larger than the next model down and feels like it is almost self-propelled. Super easy to push on carpet. Much much easier than the POS Kenmore canister it replaced....

We also looked at the Dyson. It was OK, a LOT noisier than the Miele. I have also heard good things about the new Electrolux canisters.
    How do you like the Miele for hardwood floors or tile. Our Kenmore canister vac does not pick up dust off the hardwoods. I picks up larger pieces of stuff but not the fine dust on a dusty floor. I have to Swiffer under our beds and stuff, because the Kenmore will not pick the dust up.
    Amy -
    J - Spring 2006
    E - September 2011

Quote Originally Posted by wimama View Post
    How do you like the Miele for hardwood floors or tile. Our Kenmore canister vac does not pick up dust off the hardwoods. I picks up larger pieces of stuff but not the fine dust on a dusty floor. I have to Swiffer under our beds and stuff, because the Kenmore will not pick the dust up.

The Miele is great on hardwood. DH said the first time he used it on hardwood that it felt like it was on ballbearings, it was that smooth.

Our Kenmore canister is a complete POS.
    Melissa

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray View Post
    The Miele is great on hardwood. DH said the first time he used it on hardwood that it felt like it was on ballbearings, it was that smooth.

Our Kenmore canister is a complete POS.
    Awesome! Does the wand get under beds and dressers and still pick up dust well. The Kenmore gets at a weird angle and doesn't pick up much at all under furniture. Drives me batty. We have a lot of hardwood floors and area rugs at our house. We definately need a canister vac.
    Amy -
    J - Spring 2006
    E - September 2011

Quote Originally Posted by wimama View Post
    Does the wand get under beds and dressers and still pick up dust well.

That I can't help with. Our bedrooms are still carpet....
    Melissa

No problem! Thanks for your help.
    Amy -
    J - Spring 2006
    E - September 2011

LBW is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I love my Miele canister vac. I own, and cannot stand, a Dyson upright. Luckily, I have mostly hardwood flooring, so I can get by with the Miele for most of my vac needs.

If I had to buy another upright I'd look at Sebo. They're amazing.
    http://www.sebo-vacuums.com/index.aspx
    Tara
    living a crazy life with 3 boys

I am thinking now
    of grief, and of getting past it;
    I feel my boots
    trying to leave the ground,
    I feel my heart
    pumping hard. I want
    to think again of dangerous and noble things.
    I want to be light and frolicsome.
    I want to be improbable beautiful and afraid of nothing,
    as though I had wings.

~Mary Oliver

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast