Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    fedoragirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Taking bottled water for formula through TSA

Can it be done? I can fill my own bottle (32 oz.) or buy bottled water and take it through security. I will declare it with the powdered formula and it will be for milk only. We are flying internationally so it's a 10 hour flight.
    3 year old DD
    2 year old DS

Where the Army sends us...today it's Washington

In my experience, it's never been consistant. At some checkpoints, it was never a problem, and I was able to bring in an entire water bottle. And at some of those, they would mention it, at others, they would just wave me through.

And then there are some checkpoints that would take away the water, no questions asked.

It seemed that most of the time, they would do a paper test, in which a small sheet of chemical-reactive paper would be placed on top of the open bottle. If you pass, then you get to keep it.
    -Lauren

DS 3/08
    DD 3/09

I would but water after security and not deal with the hassle.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by connor_mommy View Post
    Absolutely. Why invite extra hassle when it's pretty easy to just buy it when you get there?

Beth

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

this is what i did on this past flight. we had just started introducing DS to toddler formula and so i brought an empty bottle and powdered formula, and then once we were past security we just bought a big bottle of water. it would have never occurred to me to try to get bottled water through security and try to explain reasons that it was for formula etc. when traveling with DS and all our stuff i'm usually just trying to hurry my way through security and get it over with.

Thanks! I might have to do buy bottled water once we're past security. My only concern was that DD drinks non-fluoridated water (not Nursery water), and I don't believe most bottled water is non-fluoridated.
    3 year old DD
    2 year old DS

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I would buy water after security and not deal with the hassle.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

LMPC is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by fedoragirl View Post
    Thanks! I might have to do buy bottled water once we're past security. My only concern was that DD drinks non-fluoridated water (not Nursery water), and I don't believe most bottled water is non-fluoridated.
    Really? I thought most bottled water didn't have any fluoride in it...that's why kids were getting more cavities these days...or am I just making that up?
    Mommy to a total chatterbox
    DD now tells me she prefers to be known as a
    DD 10/08

I researched this issue about fluoride, and found that most popular brands do have fluoride in them. We use the Target reverse osmosis (purified) water, and a rep. from there emailed me to clarify that there is no fluoride in their water.
    I grew up drinking non-fluoridated water because our town's water supply didn't add it. I am sure it existed in trace amounts but not to the extent we have it now. I have had one cavity and that too, after baby. My teeth are just fine so I don't buy that fluoride is necessary from the very beginning. I can understand using it as one gets older, but I won't use it on DD just yet. Again, this is a whole 'nother argument, so I don't want to get drawn into it.
    I might just buy bottled water to save us all the hassle as I'd rather pass through security without issues than worry about the contents of the bottled water for ONE day.
    3 year old DD
    2 year old DS

Where the Army sends us...today it's Washington

Quote Originally Posted by LMPC View Post
    Really? I thought most bottled water didn't have any fluoride in it...that's why kids were getting more cavities these days...or am I just making that up?
    I was under the impression that most commonly used bottled water is just filtered tap water, and that it still contains fluoride.
    -Lauren

DS 3/08
    DD 3/09

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast