KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Have you pitched your back-issues of magazines?

I received a cooking magazine for years--I loved it but eventually fell behind in the issues. I still have a ton of back-issues and now am feeling like I should probably donate them to the library sale b/c I don't have time to go through them and most of the recipes are available online. Wish I did Advice?
    K

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I just did this the other day. I get 4 or 5 magazines now but with a baby that is up every 2 hours my leisure time is limited to 30 mins a day. I recycled all the unread copies that have piled up in the last 9 months. Our library wasn't accepting donations and I knew if I tried to find someone to take them I would change my mind. I haven't missed them. Now if the old copy is still around when the new issue arrives I recycle it.

KrisM is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Yes. I did it this spring and I quickly flipped through and tore out interesting things. Things that were torn out are filed in a 3-ring binder by category now. I'm fairly good at keeping up and not being more than 2 months behind. It's wonderful.
    Kris

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Do it! Getting rid of them feels so good. DO NOT start going through them, you will get sucked in. Just send them straight to a paper bag to recycle.

I just went through our little magazine basket and got rid of half a paper bag's worth of mags.

You could also freecycle them.
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I usually give them away to other individuals I know will want them. Or, my mom takes them to a nursing home--she says they love mags there. Or, I'll leave them at DS's swimming class (they have a very small selection of 1-2 mags, so they appreciate them). Another option is to freecycle them. Maybe someone would want them, if not for the receipes, for cutting/crafts?
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

fedoragirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by DrSally View Post
    I usually give them away to other individuals I know will want them. Or, my mom takes them to a nursing home--she says they love mags there.
    What a great idea! I am going to call my local nursing homes and ask if they need mags. I have tons of People and InStyle mags that I go through in 30 min. and feel bad when I have to recycle them when they are fairly new and still on the newstands. Thank you for suggesting that.
    3 year old DD
    2 year old DS

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by fedoragirl View Post
    What a great idea! I am going to call my local nursing homes and ask if they need mags. I have tons of People and InStyle mags that I go through in 30 min. and feel bad when I have to recycle them when they are fairly new and still on the newstands. Thank you for suggesting that.
    My mom gets so excited when I bring her mags b/c she knows the residents will really appreciate them.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

kristac is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Also preschools/ elementary schools might want them for collages, scissor work, etc.
    "Someday, I am going to go to bed without toys on the floor and sippys in my sink. Things will stay where I put them and I can have nice, fragile items on display. But when I do, I will look around with a wistfullness in my heart and miss the days where vibrant imaginations ran wild and there was evidence of life happening around me all the time!"